SSRS Barcode with special characters (parentheses)

Hi all,

I am having an issue on SSRS and barcodes if the text contains special characters, in this case there are parentheses.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Is this something that can he handled with a special font or does the text has to be tweaked somehow?
Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Alejandra

Barcodes do not support special characters

Code 3 of 9 for instance would support only these
space - $ % . / +

We needed to develop extra code to ensure Part names would not contain any other during save of Part Entry form, in order to fit the barcode

Pierre…

Created Datadirective on Part table on new added Part record,

If folowing result is true, would have an exception message avoiding the save…

foreach(var part in ttPart)
{
if(!new System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex("^[a-zA-Z0-9_-]*$").IsMatch(part.PartNum))
{
return true;
}
}

return false;

Depending upon where the parenthesis is (i’m assuming at the front of your value) you can start the barcode process after the parenthesis.

=“" + Replace(UCase(Trim(Right(Fields!ser_num.Value, Len(Fields!ser_num.Value) - InStr(Fields!ser_num.Value, “:”)))) , " “,”_") + "”

The default (and therefore free) barcode that ships with Epicor, DWBAR39, does not support parentheses characters. There are other (literally hundreds of other) barcode options that can be purchased if you already have a bunch of part numbers using special characters that you would find VERY difficult to change. Depending on the industry you’re in, there may be a common barcode scheme, but a couple of popular ones that support parentheses characters (and many other special characters) are Code 39 Extended and Code 128. Just search for “barcode fonts” in Google (or your search engine of choice) and see what you can find. Many of us here have gone through this and can help you get them set up.

You can also buy Code 39 Full ASCII Font which supports most special characters. Most scanners handle Code 39 Full ASCII

From : Code 39 Extended barcode symbology description & information

Code 39 Full ASCII (Extended) Valid characters: 0123456789[Space]ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ!#$%&'()*+,-./:;<=>?@[]^_` abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}

1 Like

Hi Ernie, I will try this option, seems like the only thing the customer needs to do is purchase the font. Thank you for your response.

Sound like my next move, thank you!