SSRS error - Cannot Read next data row

We have customized our Packing Slip and I have a very large packing slip that won’t print. This is the error
Cannot read the next data row for the dataset ShipHeadShipDtl. —> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot create a row of size 20075 which is greater than the allowable maximum row size of 8060.

How do i figure out where this is coming from? I thought comments but there is only one small line of comments.

Do you have access to the ReportServer DB? If so, I’d “Generate Only” and then look at the table and see where it’s happening.

yes I do. I did a generate only but I can’t get the ID to use to run report in SSRS, if that is what you mean.

Yes. In your System monitor, it should show the ID. Look for the column “File Name”:

Which tab on system monitor? I don’t have one at all… for the one that errors out.

this one in the screen shot is for a different PS. The one with issues never shows up.

Really odd i don’t get one

Ok, this means it cannot create the record. (It’s on the Reports tab).

Do you know which line it’s coming from? I’ve had Epicor Consultants help me design a Report Data Definition customization before and they unchecked all of the Exclude items. You may want to look there and see if you can eliminate any columns. Also try to print it with the standard report and see if that works.

I think I may have found it. Not sure. I printed the form with the base and got the GUID from there…and ran the custom report in SSRS. I got and error with invalid table name … maybe that is my issue just odd that some print and others won’t

I have no idea which line it is coming from. There are over 200 lines. I always seems that once our custom forms get too big they won’t print.

I am afraid I will have to rebuild this whole form again.

If the base works, then you need to review the columns that aren’t excluded in the custom RDD. One column could push the record it’s trying to write past the 8K limit.

1 Like

ok thanks. I have i have a hard time really knowing which ones to exclude with out breaking everything…been down that road… :weary:

For your customized report, you can check everything that doesn’t show in the DataSet query within the report itself.

Once I exclude the fields I don’t think I need what is the best way to get the SSRS dataset to remove those fields or do I have to do it manually?

Well that may be my problem…there seems to still be a LONG list of fields in my data set and they are not on the form.

You would have to see what columns the DataSet on the report itself is using. Once you have that list it should be pretty easy to remove some of the noise.

1 Like

Was it a Sync Dataset issue? Go with this Personalization:

If you copy the Base Dataset, and paste it into something like Notepad++, and do the same with your modified version - oftentimes after a few minutes of staring you see how the Base fields and the added fields and then any customizations are somewhat organized and you can kind of copy paste into a new version for the customization - but then you have backups of it, just in case. Oftentimes you can remove entire Datasets for some of the system “Call” ones and that sort of thing.

you might also have similar issue in that the Pack Slip:

1 Like

Love that personalization

1 Like

I already have that personalization…I tuned that off a while ago after learning my lesson.

I removed a ton of un needed fields from theRDD. But do I need to remove them from the SSRS report too. I am just missing the connection…or disconnect. I wish there was a good video showing how to handle RDD and SSRS for EPICOR.

Basically if it’s in the RDL, then you’ll need it in the RDD. If you are sure you don’t use it for any calculations or grouping, then you can remove it from the RDL first. If the report still works then remove it from the RDD.

1 Like

So if know that field is not on the form I can remove it from the RDL? Then if works Remove from RDD.

I am just making sure I am following you.

Yes. If it works once you remove it from the RDL then you won’t need it in the RDD.

1 Like

Thanks, I hadn’t been aware of the limit prior to this.
BTW… a Google search yielded this thread with one answer which for some reason made me smile…