'Stranded' Serial Number

I am looking for a way to delete a ‘stranded’ Serial Number. Please forgive any incorrect terminology or blatant lack of understanding. I have no experience with serial numbers and have been presented this issue, trying to learn as I go.

Two serial numbers have been assigned to the same job / resulting part, where there should have only been one. The first serial number is tied to a part that was successfully committed to inventory. The other is still showing a status of WIP, no assigned warehouse or bin, and the associated job is closed.

In searching the Epicor Application Help I found some comments about Stranded Serial Numbers, and I think the situation described is similar to ours, but it suggests we could take some action to delete the serial number, and I can’t see how. I’ve tried clearing the Job information from the Serial Number in Serial Number Maintenance, but the Delete command is still disabled.

From the help:

Why do I have more serial numbers in stock than actual parts in stock?

It is possible to “strand” serial numbers. The most likely reason for this situation is that you assigned one set of serial numbers to the items when you received them and a different set of serial numbers when you issued those same items to a job. Because the Epicor application does not prevent this from happening, you need to develop procedures to ensure that serial numbers are assigned at only one specific time. If you find “stranded” serial numbers, you can delete them in Serial Number Maintenance. Deleting the serial numbers removes them from the Epicor application.

Side note: I’ve looked at the Serial Number Transactions, hoping to help understand what has happened to cause the issue, and see the following:

Serial Number - Transaction Type
SN1 - ADJUST
SN1 - OPR-CMP
SN1 - MTL-STK
SN2 - ADJUST

There is a long list of Transaction Types in the documentation, but ADJUST and OPR-CMP are not included.

Try checking Serial Number Assignment for that job.