Sudden drop Epicor speed caused by Microsoft Updates -> (KB4601319, KB5000802, KB5000808,KB4601382,KB4601383) +

At a guess it will be KB5000822, because KB4601383 has already been flagged, and when you look at the Update Catalog it says 1383 has been replaced by 0822…

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the insight!!

@jdewitt6029 We are looking at the effects on our current server which is one of the OSs you listed. I haven’t heard back from IT whether they have determined that yet.

1 Like

My 2016 Build 1607 Epicor server is not showing any performance issues. It is showing current with KB5000803 update (installed 3/14/2021) which is the server equivalent of the W10 KB5000802 patch. I’ve run the client locally there and there is no speed drop when loading a Job form or part form or even closing the job entry window. Everything responds at the same speed as it does on my unpatched W10 laptop. Just for reference that is the sole purpose of that server, it only runs Epicor, it does not provide and RDP services or anything.

So in my experience it’s safe to say the server being patched is not affecting my end user client performance, as well as local Epicor use on that machine which is only utilized by me when necessary.

Ken Askew, I would update my first post to include KB5000822 under Server 2019, but unfortunately I no longer have the ability to edit it… not sure why.

30 days, I believe. Which would be yesterday, 3/18.

And thanks again for this.

Lol I am definitely not getting “most popular ERP 10 post of the year” this year. We have a new champion!

1 Like

I just turned your post into a wiki since its so popular and it would pay to keep it updated as more variants of this mess are found, now you can edit… (anyone established >=member can)

1 Like

I think you are right that it is a control or method Epicor is using. You may be right it may be related to CPU or network or security, but my guess is more like a graphics issue based on the other known issue with this release “Microsoft and Discord have found incompatibility issues with some games using Direct3D 12 when the in-game overlay feature of Discord is enabled.” I am not saying it is exactly the same, just that it may be similar. It doesn’t seem like anything other then Epicor is affected, and maybe not even all of the Epicor screens. You would think if it was cpu or network related that it would affect everything, not just some Epicor screens…

Add our organization to the list battling this issue as well.

We’ve had nothing but issues with the March patches on Win10 1909->2009. We’ve experienced blank Dymo labels and BSOD errors all over the place. Patch 5001567 was supposed to address the BSOD’s when printing to Kyocera copiers, which it may have helped. However, we now just have BSOD errors when doing random things (using Excel, reviewing CAD, etc.).

I had been brushing off a few users who were saying that Epicor was way slower while we were battling all of the other patch problems. Come to find out, it’s all related! After rolling back one user to pre-Feb patches, using Epicor was leaps and bounds better.

So as of now, we are only left with the option of going pre-Feb for Win10 2009 PC’s and pre-Mar for 1909 (these are the only 2 versions we have in play).

1 Like

Got a few of those BSODs when printing.

Can anyone test this again now with the latest updates in place? I just updated a PC to the latest hoping to see the issue. Epicor performance seems fine. I don’t have documented testing when it was slow on this particular pc and can’t do more testing on other pc’s until next week. It is 64-bit Windows 10 20H2 with KB5000802, KB4601319, KB5001567, KB4589212, KB4601554 all installed. PC is in different domain than Epicor server, and on wide-area connection. I am using RDP from home. Job entry can search for 1000 jobs in 2s, select and return all 1000 in another 2s and changes between jobs in 1 to 2s.

Just a hunch, but seeing as we also had this issue, and reading the patch notes for the offending patch it seems to have to do with credentials validation and the like, how many of you having the issue are using a self-signed certificate for Epicor?

My thinking is that if Microsoft “strenghtened” username and password security, they might have done so by adding certificate validation code, and if that code is screwy with self-signed certs, it would make every call to Epicor BOs take longer, even though network and server performance looks fine.

1 Like

There is a new Microsoft update available March 19th, KB5001649 that replaces KB5000802 and KB5001567. In the update history it gets listed as an ‘Other’ update rather than a ‘Quality’ update as KB5000802 is listed. The PC I have installed this on is not showing the issue, but it’s the only one I can test on today…

The security trend seems to be that in order to make passwords stronger, we need to eliminate them.

Microsoft

Duo

Google

Okta

@Edge , @pferrington , @Rich , @aidacra

Not sure who is the most appropriate person to tag here, but if someone could give us a status update on this issue it would really go a long way towards reassuring the community… Because this is really killing many of us right now.

I would think whoever is working on this at Epicor has compiled an accurate list of offending KBs for the different versions of Windows by now – can you at least confirm whether or not your lists match up with our lists at the top of this post?

5 Likes

So we’re thinking that KB5001649 is like a “fixed” cumulative update for March (and thus, being cumulative, suppose it would replace the February one too) that actually works to not break Epicor performance? Is that how you’re reading it @kena ?

I’m searching for and going to try and test this update today.

**Edit, that update is not even showing as available for my machine when searching. I’m not sure if they are slowly rolling it out or not.

I’m noticing it should be in the “Optional updates available” section. I wonder if I need KB5000802 installed for it to show up. Ken, did the machine you installed this on already have KB5000802 installed prior to installing KB5001649?

I also just found this article… ugh… I’m glad I don’t have KB5000802 causing printing issues in my environment.

1 Like

Adam Yes, thats what I am thinking. Either it’s ok with this update, or something about the specific configuration of the PC I was testing on is having it not break Epicor.

Jonothan - Yes, the PC I was testing on had KB5000802 installed prior to KB5001649. It also had KB5001567 installed prior. I wasn’t seeing the issue with 1567 either, so try to that level if they have pulled 1649.

Ken,
That’s odd because neither one states a pre-req of needing KB5000802 to be installed and currently neither one of these are showing up as an available update for my machine, mandatory or optional. I may have to experiment more with this later.