Tax Connect experiences

@josecgomez @bderuvo @Banderson

The avalara engine does look on its own for the tax exemption certs when doing the sales tax calculation right? In other words, the customization y’all did to display tax exemption certs and dates and what not was strictly informational right?

I guess the real question I am getting at is this:

When avalara goes to calculate sales tax, if my customer record and ship to don’t have anything in the tax exempt box, it will always go to calculate sales tax and IF it finds a valid cert for tax exemption it will return 0 for the sales tax owed, right? In other words, we don’t have to fill the tax exempt box out in Epicor for avalara sales tax calcuation to work for tax exempt customers, right?

Hopefully I am being clear… If not, please let me know and I’ll try to calrify.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help. Trying to clean up some cloud conversion data and wondering if I should remove or keep the tax exemption code on customer and ship-to records given we are going to go live with avalara and I am slightly confused on exact behaviors of Avalara tax calculation.

I understand that filling this box out would save you from making a chargeable call to Avalara tax calc API, but other than that, the tax api handles that cert lookup when the tax-exempt box is left blank, right?

Right it was informational

Avalara automatically looks at certs if it has some regardless of except textbox.

Right on thank you sir! :pray:

Training the users that they need to verify both Billing & Ship to addresses is harder than the rest of Avalara if you have a competent accounting team.

Do I need to run a process to get the tax types into epicor from avalara? My test connection came back good. I created a test quote with no luck getting the taxes to calculate. I think I’m missing something simple and notice I don’t have any tax types in epicor yet.

The tax types will populate as you use avalara.
Make sure to read through the setup guide and understand the other configurations you need to setup and assign.
Product Tax Categories for parts/product groups and Misc Charges and Tax liabilities for customers and shipto.

Thanks, we’ve asked for a setup guide from Epicor and Avalara and no one seems to have one so I’m trying to mirror what we did in our Pilot environment for testing. I know I’m missing something simple to get it to work in Live.

@Kpressler Take a look here: Knowledge Page - EpicCare (epicor.com)

There are tax connect setup guides that we received when we purchased tax connect. Not sure I have them anymore.

@Kpressler
Hi Kristin. Perhaps these will help:

Epicor Tax Connect Configuration - Epicor 10.2.400

Tax Connect Configuration Guide for Kinetic - Version 2023.1 Controlled Release

Good luck!

Are any of you using the new features that were added to Tax Connect along with the Kinetic 2022.2 release? The new features greatly enhance the connectivity to Avalara’s ECM functionality. If you have any opinion on the usefulness of the new features, please share!

Also curious to know if anyone has been able to use Tax Connect Global capabilities effectively to address VAT compliance issues?

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Without knowing exactly what Brandon created, there’s no way to know if the new features in Tax Connect are accomplishing the same results, but I would guess that they are. If not, I’d be curious to know what other features Brandon added? Perhaps they would be good candidates for the Ideas portal…