Terminate an Active Task in System Monitor

Lets pretend …

1. Someone was looking for future dated part transaction and decided to run Inventory WIP Recon with an Ending Date of 12/31/5999. And didn’t realize that the PE Logging was enabled for COSandWIP.
  2. After 30 minutes they take a peek at the PE log file and see that it’s only up to1/20/2049 - processing about 6 dates per second.
  3. Doing some quick math, they realize it will take over 58 hours to run to the end date of 12/31/5999.
  4. Selecting the active task in System Monitor and deleting it, only seems to make it start over.

Asking for a friend :wink:

1 Like

@ckrusen - If I remember correctly, marking it “deleted” and then restarting the TaskAgent Service seems to work for those.

The entire service needs to be restarted? Or just the agent?

Hmm… don’t recall, sorry… I usually just restart the service cause it’s easy and I don’t have that much traffic through the agent at any given moment (as long as MRP isn’t running that is…)

Hmmm … neither worked.

When you say “marking it deleted”, is that something special? Or just selecting the row in the Active Task sheet, and selecting Delete?

Even tried deleting it while the Agent was stopped, and the Service was stopped.

ok, I got in there to take a look and I think that my method only works if they are not ACTIVE and being processed by the Agent. My users have a tendency to queue up the same thing 30 times before the call me, so I delete them all and restart the service because they do not disappear from the queue when the Agent is ‘stuck’ or locked up.

And I did a quick test. I start MRP ( a 10 minute-ish process for us in the Test database), let it go to Active status, then highlight it and click the Delete X. It immediately stopped and moved to History with a Cancelled flag.

Now I’m wondering why yours does not respond similarly (as expected). SO I ran the WIP Recon with an End Date of 12/31/2021, let it go Active, then tried to delete it.

Strange behavior - it would not cancel/delete immediately. I highlighted/deleted three times and then it finally flickered at me and moved to History as Cancelled. BUT THEN - the report opened in the PDF viewer. It seems that this report needs to finish or something…

It seems that you might have to wait on it - or stop the service then remove it manually from the SysagentTask/SysagentTaskParams tables.

OH – you could edit the params table to change the edn date maybe??

I hope that helps - tis the best I can do since mine doesn’t take forever…

2 Likes

My guess would be that the InvWIP Recon report uses the Posting Engine, and THAT is what doesn’t want to stop in mid process.

Luckily our company is small enough that this won’t impact performance. It’ll let it run out as it will finish some time over the weekend.

Now I’m really glad the the WIP Recon report form didn’t allow an end date of 12/31/9999 !!!

edit: to run WIP Recon through 12/31/9999 would take 4.76 days

2 Likes