The dream of eliminating local client installs is dead

So now that the prompt to log in using the browser front and center in 2024.1, I am finally forced to confront the edge agent debacle after avoiding it thus far.

What I don’t think Epicor understands is that when cloud customers try to use the browser, you are taking a scenario where each individual end user can self serve their install through the saas download site without any admin permissions, and forcing a process where the end user has to download and install the client. Then open a support ticket. Then wait for IT to come around and deploy the edge agent on their computer for them. All so they can use the browser. Either that or IT has to take over installing everyone’s client for them and do the edge agent at the same time. Either way this is a higher burden on a cloud customers than just sticking with the classic client to begin with.

Why is this so difficult? Suggestions to make it easier? Any chance the edge agent would ever be part of the client install or at least not require admin permissions? It seems like the whole dream of no client installs being required once we go to the browser has just completely died. Not only will a client install be required forever, but on top of that its a more difficult and complicated client install than the one we already have!

Automate deployment of the edge agent

https://epicor.ideas.aha.io/ideas/KIN-I-3595

Remove requirement for Admin Access to Install Edge Agent for Printing and Attachments

https://epicor.ideas.aha.io/ideas/KIN-I-3902

Handle AutoUpdate with EdgeAgent running better:

https://epicor.ideas.aha.io/ideas/KIN-I-4780

Edge Agent should support more than 4 urls:

https://epicor.ideas.aha.io/ideas/KIN-I-4901

Document silent install to mass deploy the edge agent:

https://epicor.ideas.aha.io/ideas/KIN-I-4900

4 Likes

Like you, I want the promise of no local installs. The use of the Edge Client at local servers to do printing? All day long. Great idea. For local printing? I would think a web worker should be up to the task. :person_shrugging:

The blockers are Classic Client customizations, local file access, and closing parity with Kinetic UI. The first two are user requirements to support those who have nasty customizations to rewrite and those who are still using local file shares for attachment links. The last one is on Epicor and each release gets them closer.

But if a company wants to run without a local client, it should be possible.

3 Likes

I’m confused.

I’m not privy to 2024.1, and I am not on the cloud, so I don’t know if that’s relevant to the discussion.

But there seem to be a few things here

1. Browser usage
  2. Classic usage
  3. Edge Agent install requires admin privileges, needs improvements, etc.
  4. Edge Agent usage

My thoughts from our 4-month Kinetic adventure

1. We use the browser only. It’s not been great, but it’s going.
  2. The only classic things I’ve needed are for us admins (BPMs, EFx, BAQs, etc.). Are you needing the users to access classic for things? (Other than preference.)
  3. Yes, I hate the install process for the Edge Agent.
  4. Let’s tackle the Edge Agent in some separate paragraphs.

So, the Edge Agent does 2 things now

• Allows for direct printing - no preview first
  • Opens the client install on your machine, if you have one.

For the client install, I just skipped that part of the Edge Agent and didn’t install any clients.

For printing, I don’t have THAT many users that “need” to print directly, no previewing first. Our spare-parts-sales division, they print pack slips like there’s no tomorrow. And check printing works best with direct printing. Other than that, people just preview.

I’m very anti-client, so I am pushing hard to make the browser work.

4 Likes

Just use GPO or Intune to deploy what you need for edge client and call it a day. Am I missing something here?

2 Likes

My understanding is that you have to install the epicor client first, which our users do on their own. So it can’t just push to every machine indiscriminately. They might not be an epicor user or may not have installed the epicor client yet.

So these are all good points above. I don’t see direct printing (for labels and pack slips for example) as optional. I do get that the rest of the stuff is temporary (launching classic from the browser, attachment links, etc.). But direct printing will always be a requirement and I don’t see that ever changing.

Also file attachments. And other stuff that cannot be done directly from browser.

It works with certificates and cannot be installed without admin mode.
Also that was the purpose that ordinary user cannot change its settings.

Blockquote Edge Agent should support more than 4 urls:

It can be done by adding URLS directly into appsettings.json

3 Likes

We include the Epicor client on all workstations, same for Edge agent. That makes it easier for us to push.

So then why has Epicor designed the deployment to prompt every ordinary user to do it themselves?

2 Likes

You can uncheck property in Company settings so user cannot do it.

Company Maintenance/Report tab, ALlow Edge Agent Installer Download

2 Likes

Yes I understand, but epicor hasn’t provided any mass deployment option, any documentation to support users who want to write their own silent install, or any indication this will be packaged with the cloud client install, and Epicor support explicitly insists that the ONLY way to deploy the edge agent is for each user to do it themselves. Now obviously I know that isn’t true. But why is this epicor’s official position? What if anything is being done about this?

I’ll leave explaining official positions to managers :slight_smile:
I don’t know what is the problem with silent install, maybe because it is part of 3rd party installer we use, not what we wrote ourselves.

1 Like

For labels, yessss…maybe…but :thinking: some clever architecture might be able to get around it. But there are electronic alternatives for most other documents like checks.

There are some cloud printing options like M365 Universal Print. Cost money but if you ever needed some incentive to reduce paper. Could be cheaper than a dedicated print server on-prem. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Just today our inventory and shipping teams were asking about using Android tablets to pick and print material tags and shipping docs/labels. I was just going to look for a thread on a Android based Edge Agent.

I don’t understand how this helps - the print icon is literally greyed out, disabled, cannot click it unless you install the edge agent.

https://epicor.ideas.aha.io/ideas/KIN-I-3886

1 Like

We don’t - in fact, we don’t even know for sure which workstations do and don’t have epicor installed.

I would campaign to install it everywhere and make your life easier.

1 Like

We have companies on multiple different ERP systems, this is a non-starter.

The edge agent is not really required for this. Attachments can be handled like any download.

1 Like