TRANGLC Deleted after Purge and Summarize!

Wow that’s a lot of work man yikes! I’m glad you go through it

2 Likes

some additional notes:

1. don’t forget to recreate employees
  2. also had to update all xfileref attachments, was able to compare attachnum fields and only bring over recent attachment links.
  3. PO details proved a little more troublesome than i thought had to go through about 300 POs and manually update them.
  4. couple of weird AP invoice issues, but nothing that can’t be fixed with some BPMs and updateable BAQs
2 Likes

Sorry you had to go through that @balmon , I really don’t want to pile onto your misery at all with this statement, there is a good reason I’m asking:

Did you try this in a Test database before doing it in your production database?

The only reason I ask is because our database is also getting quite large (like 400 GB) after running Epicor since 9.05 days in 2012, and I’ve been tempted to start doing some Purge/Summarize runs, but obviously your story has me terrified, and I’m wondering if you ran it in Test but then it behaved very differently in production or was just hard to see that it had screwed up so bad.

I would hire Epicor Professional Services for this, and if they screw up its on them :slight_smile: shouldnt be too bad for them to “Purge”. Plus they probably can reach out to Senior Engineers directly if things go haywire, in addition they may just have Internal DataFixes that purge it better, who knows.

I just recently asked a old co-worker why they paid for Epicor to Upgrade them from 10.0 to 2023 when they have done it in their other business division several times. He just said, insurance policy, risk is on the ERP Vendor Services Team.

Unpopular Opinion:
When going to Kinetic and switching UI (finally dropping classic), perhaps a Company should treat it as a new ERP and DMT stuff in as if they are coming from an old ERP. Either way you need to rethink some heavy customizations and making sure its an exact replica is a pipedream, some processes need to change and if you have work instructions they all need new screenshots. Opportunity to fix all your UOMs, and Setup Data to finally be much cleaner, now that we are all smarter than we were 15yrs ago.

Leave the old data in the old Database just as if you were coming from SAP, Dynamics or Sage.

2 Likes

@Noffie we’re currently on 905.702A also since 2012. We were an on prem customer and had dropped supported in 2014. (There’s another thread trending on that, but suffice to say, we were able to successfully manager internally for the past 11 years). The server that the database is on had a fusion IO drive and the size of my database precluded me being able to load it up on that drive b/c it didn’t have enough space do a full test before I ran everything. Yes I should have hooked up a second hard drive and done more thorough testing, but I had done that years ago when i first built up the courage to run the process and didn’t have issues.

My recommendation to you would be to do a full test. Take a backup file, load it on a separate hard drive, reload it into SQL and then Purge and summarize that file. Then check your row counts in SQL to make sure they match and also check your trial balance, aged payables, aged receivables, and have accounting make sure they can post transactions.

If that goes well then I would recommend taking a backup of your data on a Friday night after everyone is out. Run it on your live DB and run through all the same steps to verify accuracy of the data and process. If your TranGLC data table doesn’t have a reasonable number of lines, Stop, don’t pass go, don’t collect $200. Reload the backup file and carry on. If it all seems good, do a couple test transactions.

My biggest mistake was not testing and validating GL transactions after I ran it. I had also never run it on LABOR before. I’d only ever done change log, Job mlt, configs, quotes, & order. I didn’t expect the labor one to screw me, but I didn’t thoroughly test and it did and it TOTALLY SUCKED!! I agree with @hkeric.wci opinion to hire Epicor Professional services to help in this case, but I think proper testing and validation would have done the trick as well.

Anyways, we’re moving to Kinetic this weekend, but still using classic screens b/c most kinetic screens are to buggy and dashboards are horrible, so Cheers! Happy to answer any other questions you may have about doing it.

1 Like