Traveler Report - Help Needed

I’m building a customization for our Travelers with the requirement that the comment section for the operation is completely scalable. This is because there can be anywhere from a single line of comments to 2 pages worth of comments. Whenever this section gets past a certain amount of space it completely breaks the Traveler. It will change the number of pages from 10 to 200 and several of them will be blank. I am unsure of how, or where to begin with this. I have tried formatting the comment section to insert a page break if it has a certain mass, I have tried enforcing margins, and I have tried forcing it to fit to one page and not. Every time it is still printing several blank pages.

Has anyone ran into this before/know of a way to get around this problem?

Which comment field is causing the issue?

In general when I see blank pages, my first guess is that “something” is breaking outside of the report margins. I also have seen a container(s) cause issues rather than the field itself. i.e. parent sections, rectangles?
One way I have verified the problem component(s) on a report…
I’ll make the backgrounds of report components all different colors and then preview and/or send “problem” output to a color printer.

1 Like

@bordway,

I believe it is the OprSeq comment section. It is within a rectangle. Should I get rid of the rectangle, or just change the settings for that rectangle?

Also I have had an issue with this report not enforcing page breaks ideas on that?

TBD… I’ve found no standard answer… i.e. trial and error.
I usually just make a copy of the style and experiment with different settings… combined with the background color trick… until I find the right combination.
FYI… if you search Google for blank pages in SSRS… you’ll see it’s REALLY common.
And of course… the Traveler layout is fairly involved, so it could turn out to be a rectangle within another rectangle, etc…

Here is an example of an AP check where I used alternating, colored backgrounds to figure out what was going on. In this case, different component dimensions were based on different parent rectangles… so typing in new coordinates didn’t do ANYTHING like what you’d expect. SSRS…grrrr.

2 Likes

@bordway,

The color section idea is genius! Immediately saw that the rectangle around the textbox is way out of whack! Deleted the rectangle and applied my page break in a grouping for the OprSeq. Those actions hit the nail on the head!

Credit and cheers to you sir!