Trigger BPM email notification when a Systask results in ERROR

Hi all,

We’re on Epicor 10.1.500.8

When any systask (e.g. GL report returns no records, journal entry goes to Review Journal) returns a status of “Error” instead of “Complete”, I’d like the user who submitted the task to get an email notification.

Placing a “Send Email” Data Directive on the SysTask table results in an email only being sent when a systask completes successfully.

No email is triggered when a systask errors.

Even when I have a straight “Send Email” with no Condition as pictured below, which SHOULD result in an email being sent every time a systask occurs, I’m only getting the emails when a systask ends in a status of COMPLETE.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Try using the table SysTaskLog.

couple of things,

First, do you know that you can turn on windows notifications that will tell you when a report completes or errors? Super helpful. This is set per user. In my opinion, this is a better option because I am always trying to fight a bloated inbox. It makes me miss important things.

Secondly, do you use e-mails in an other areas of the system? Have you gotten them to work before? There is a bit of setup process to get e-mails to work, so you’ll want to make sure that’s working first before you dig too hard into the BPM.

2 Likes

Hi Daryl, same result with the SysTaskLog table. I have a very straightforward BPM on the SysTaskLog table and I’m not getting any emails when a systask errors.

Back to Brandon’s comments then, because you probably need to look at your set-up. We have had BPMs working on this table though I haven’t used it for emails.

I’m assuming you’re only testing, because the BPM as you’ve shown it is going to be hyperactive with any system in active use.

Hi Brandon,

Yes, I’m aware of the notification setting in System Monitor. It doesn’t work for us. I think it has something to do with us accessing Epicor from an EMS server through Parallels. We had months of back and forth with EMS about it to no avail.

Plus, I’d rather do the email notification method. I want IT to be copied on the emails. Also pop-ups can/will be missed if someone walks away from their desk after submitting a task.

And yes, the email settings are working fine in other areas of Epicor. Email settings are correct in Company Maintenance. In fact, the Data Directive on the SysTask table IS sending emails when the Systask results in “Complete”, just not when results in “Error”.

Hi Daryl,

Yessir, I’m testing this in the Pilot environment. I’m 100% sure the email settings are correct.

Any chance you can share one of your BPM’s for the Systask table that are definitely working for “Error” systasks?

I don’t have one any more, I’m afraid, because we took a different path in the end for the purpose we wanted it for. It turned out that the records we wanted to change were still locked when the BPM fired, so it didn’t do any good.

What we did do in the end was run a Service Connect workflow on a schedule that looks for a certain type of record in the SysTaskLog table and take action from there. That might be worth looking into if you stay stuck and have SC as an option, because it means you don’t need to overwhelm the server on a busy table, especially if something suddenly generates a lot of errors.

@sport

i have done a simple and straight forward test on my Epicor Test environment, standard data directive on SysTask conditioned on task status should work fine, for my testing purpose i have used “COMPLETE” in yours may use “ERROR”

Hi Al,

That simple test works for me too. Try your same test with “ERROR”. It doesn’t work.

i need to create a record with error status, all my tasks are completed, any quick way you know?

Printing a pick list for a completed Sales Order is our most common error!

I’d be happy if there was a way to print a report with “No records found”. Just a single page with the report name, user, run date and time, and the text “No Record Found”

:frowning:

3 Likes

Or run a Customer Statement for a customer with no invoices/activity within the date range you select

Calvin, me too! I’ve looked into that. It would require a custom SSRS report for just about every canned report in Epicor…a big project!

If there was an easy way to just insert a common subreport that only shows when the record count is zero, would be an easy integration. But it seems that E10 “does us a favor” of not trying to launch a report with zero records.

I thought about trying to tweak the RDDs by joining a UD table with a single record, and then looking to see if the dataset only contained data from the UD. But never followed through

But you’d have to insert that common subreport into EVERY canned report in Epicor…

Also, this won’t help when there is an error from a journal entry posting or COS/WIP posting.

Also, I’d like IT to get an email notification of the error.

1 Like

ok Gary,
our Epicor has no financial setup nor Sales pick list, so i run my job traveller report after changing the report server path to error it out, and this is what i found, the created record stuck on a different table called ice.SysRptLst and does not move to SysTask, this could be the reason, so i suggest to move your DD BPM to that table and check, however there is no task status there to trigger your BPM, but there is field called last action i am not sure if you can utilize it or not, try to error any of your targeted tasks and use this field value and see, i know it is not consistent until we know all possible values for all our targeted tasks, but it is a start point

Since We’ve customized nearly every report, it would be no big deal for us :wink:

But at a minimum, being able to have the “blank” report be printed or previewed would help.

To generate a "No Records found " error.

Try running the WIP Recon, for a date you know no trans actions occurred. If you run 24/7, then add a filter of just one tran type(“PUR-INS” ??), that you know wont exist.

1 Like