Upgrading SQL Server

We are currently running SQL Server 2014. We are familiar with the Epicor Application upgrade process when keeping OS/SQL version the same, but are wanting to know if there are any nuances to changing the OS and SQL version.

Below is a screenshot of the matching OS/SQL Version supported by Epicor. Is there any sort of porcess that we should be following when moving from 2012 R2 and SQL Server 2014 and moving to Windows 2016 running SQL Server 2017?

We migrated from SQL 2014 to SQL 2017 without any issues. I took a backup of the dB on the SQL 2014 server, restored it to the new SQL 2017 server, changed the compatibility level to 2017. Then went into EAC and just pointed the applications to the new SQL server. Deployed the app server and off we went. I did it one weekend.

1 Like

This is exactly what we would hope to do as well. Thanks Chadd!

@chaddb Did you guys do any testing on MSSQL 2019 at all? Just curious of your experience.

No. SQL Server 2019 hadn’t been released yet when we purchased our new SQL server.

I know some others on here have done testing and it’s been working. I would assume in 10.2.600 Epicor would officially support it. If you purchased SQL Server now I would purchase 2019 and just drop the compatibility level to 2017.