Use 64bit Client?

I had put in a ticket with support indicating I was getting an error while launching the 64bit client and their response was use the 32bit client unless instructed by support.

My question is, does anyone else run the 64bit client on all user machines?

We have a need to use 64bit now as Autodesk Vault DLL’s are only offered in x64 for the 2021 version of Vault.

32bit client here per Epicor support recommendation when we went live.

We have a few users who use the 64-bit client on an rds farm. Switching to the client got rid of their out of memory errors, but be warned the client has a wayyy higher memory footprint.

We have a set of users that use the 64bit client as the SolidWorks Vault dlls are 64bit only.

@bmanners, @tkoch – Just curious, how/why does Vault affect the Epicor client?

Tried 64 bit had to back out it was no bueno sorry.

From my testing because the Vault DLLs are only 64bit the customization will compile but when a class is instantiated I get the error “System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly ‘Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.WCF’” and by googling it indicated to check the target platform of the app. I tested this in VS and when I change the build to target 64bit it works, when I change it to any cpu or x86 I get that error. This is what led me down the Epicor 64bit rabbit hole

I assume you let support know this is now a requirement for your organization. If not, let them know, it may change their response.

How are the Vault dlls used? Do you only call them from your custom code? If so, you could consider creating a 64 wrapper assembly that is COM visible. This article has a sample of this approach: 64 → 32 COM Bridge Code Project

To elaborate on that a bit…You would create a COM visible class that exposes the same methods the Vault dlls do, these methods would then call the corresponding methods in the Vault dll, passing along the return value. From your 32 Epicor process(client or server), you could reference and use these your wrapper dll, which in turn would be invoking the Vault dlls.
What sorts of types do the Vault dlls return?

Yea, that’s what I’ve been considering since it seems that the 64bit Epicor client is bad

I haven’t looked at the customizations related to Vault in years but I think strings and also files represented as bytes

Billy Hollis (a UX person) has a quote for this:

We moved from DLL Hell to Version Hell to Dependency Hell…

1 Like