Virtual fields? Anyone get them to work?

So we have a vendor who’s got a “cute” name with an exponent in it. (ex vendor2). Well, of course that’s not gonna make it into Epicor, and IDC reads that as a question mark anyways, even if it did. Looking at the documents on Ancora’s website, this says that the “virtual” flag should be able to map to something like a logo.

However, no matter what I’ve tried so far, it always tries to read the name. I’ve tried selecting the logo, but that doesn’t work either.

Support did get back to me, but something is lost in translation, so I’ll need to set up a meeting, but I’m impatient, so I’m double posting this here.

Anyone else ever get this to work?

To be honest, I’ve never bothered with trying to map a “Virtual” flagged field. For documents that don’t have the vendor name stated clearly and/or the same as in Epicor, we create a “VendorMap” field which is used to highlight a unique value on the document, such as the website URL. Within the DFD, there is an option for “Mapping” and in there we will then sync the two together so that the “VendorName” is populated when the “VendorMap” field has a certain value. With the mapping in place, the next time you run the document through you would map the website (or other unique value) to the “VendorMap” field and then populate the “VendorName” field with exactly what it is in Epicor. It should then do this automatically for each new document for that vendor.

3 Likes

OK, That might be the way we have to go. Do you map every vendor then? or can you use it only for the problem ones?

I have a call with Ancora today to look over it as well. Maybe they’ll have some good suggestions.

We only use the VendorMap field for those that don’t have the name clearly stated. It works well for those that only have a logo or where the punctuation could be different. Often enough, the customers we work with will take the opportunity during the IDC/ECM implementation to review their Epicor vendor names and clean things up to match the invoice names, but not always. This VendorMap field is generally reserved for the outliers.

I’d be curious to learn what Ancora says about things, though.

1 Like

That sounds like exactly what I’m looking for though. Thanks for the tip!

If we have a name or image that does ot read well, I just have our mapper use an address or vendor code field

You can hold down Alt and type 0178 and Epicor will accept that. I did it at my old job for square inches IN²

That’s cute that you think I have users that will be able to figure that out :wink:

So, I just had a call with the Ancora support. We were able to get the virtual to work, however, it was dependent on deleting training data and possibly other things. Basically, a bunch of tiny things could knock it off its “Virtual” pedestal and fall down into the assignable field.

I showed him the Mapping workaround that @vleveris mentioned, and he agreed that’s more common and more robust. A little bit of training for users to know how to use it, but it’s much more manageable on an administration side since I can see the mapping table and fix issues as they come up, and it more transparent to the users.

So we’ll use that.

Thanks for updating, Brandon!

Just chiming in here to say I’ve been having the exact same issue with Vendor Names, I think I’ve seen it work maybe once? I do like IDC but in some ways its a total mess. Mine is completely ignoring any training, at the moment, haha.

Support also recommended the Mapping thing, so I guess I’m doing that :slight_smile: