Virtualized Epicor Server: Now it is slower

@chaddb do you still have to disable VMQ on Hyper-V?

Just one VM to rule them all!

Yikes! That may be part of the problem. I’ve never ran Epicor that way.

1 Like

I haven’t been lately. It’s not disabled on our Epicor VMs. It is on some of our other VMs.

So, you can have them all on one server, running at the same time, but when virtualized, they need to be separate?

Yes. Once you go virtual, you need separate boxes for Epicor and SQL Server. Make sure you are generous on RAM on each machine.

Did you check the host BIOS (Disable Power Saving options and C-States in BIOS. Enable Turbo Boost)??? Very important.

But the Intel Xeon Gold 5118 CPU only has 12 cores.

When I had problems in the past it was usually poor CPU… so we went with the E5 ones 2 of them.

Yes

With only 64GB of RAM and the limited compute you are going to have performance issues. You need a bigger host IMO. Did you look at the Epicor sizing guide?

@chaddb What are your recommendations?

We have two Gold cpu’s.

Huh. As someone who knows nothing about the topic at hand I would have figured having it split into more VM’s would add overhead (but provide other benefits that made it worth it)

Why does it improve performance?

1 Like

How many users?

@chaddb We pay for a third party to do our basic IT things. So, I sent over the guide to them. I will have to go back and see what it says versus what we got.

For 15 Users our SQL alone was like 64GB of RAM :slight_smile:

Haha… yea. We have 32GB of RAM for each app VM. And we have enough RAM on our SQL server that our entire dB is loaded into memory :slight_smile:

1 Like

OH BOY!!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Umm, I didn’t know that!

See what they say but I’d at least follow the Epicor suggested minimum.

I’m not saying you have to have that many resources. But you are going to need more than what you have.

We have 128, but 64 dedicated to the Epicor/Sql virtual machine. I am working on having it increased to max ram to Epicor/SQL and see if that makes much of a difference.