What Windows Server And SQL are you using?

We are looking to upgrade our current Window Server and SQL soon. Wanted to see what everyone was using and experiences with Epicor.

We are all virtualized running on Dell servers. Epicor has a hardware sizing guide on EpicWeb. Make sure to at least follow that. We run all RAID or NVMe storage. 10GB networking between everything server side.

1 Like

What do you run on your VM, operating system wise?

Hyper-V running on Windows Server Datacenter. All VMs for Epicor are Windows Server 2016/2019 Datacenter.

1 Like

Ok, that makes sense! Between the older Windows Servers and the ones you use, is there any performance difference?

Side note: We would not need the Datacenter hoss, but the standard. Wonder about the performance between the two. Same? Better? Worse?

Big difference. Our old infrastructure was spinning drives, 1GB networking, and old processors. You can’t really compare old to new though. Our virtual infrastructure, Epicor and non-Epicor, is significantly faster. It has to be. Instead of one server running an app it’s a server running multiple servers.

With Standard you only get 2 VMs. If you need more VMs you have to license and buy CALs separately for each VM. So that’s why you typically use datacenter licenses. It’s cheaper if you have a lot of VMs.

1 Like

All of our drives are solid state, gigabit connections internal, not sure what they are on the server drives though. Anyway, was curious if moving to 2016/2019 for Windows Server and SQL would make a performance difference for Epicor.

I dont think you will get any noticable performance uplift from the change in WIndows/SQL versions. It is just a question of meeting the implementation guidelines. Also there may be some funtionality benefits from the SQL server change.
We have licensing that permits us to always use the latest versions of MS products.
We are planning a move to 10.2.600 or later for which SQL and application servers Windows 2019 and SQL 2019 are supported.

1 Like

Agreed. The noticeable performance increase is the hardware.

1 Like

Not a noticeable one. Definitely wouldn’t see enough of a performance increase to justify the costs to purchase new licenses and CALs. If you were going to new hardware it would make sense to go to the latest OS.

1 Like

@chaddb im looking to upgrade to NVMe but my head is still stuck in the old worlds of RAID and spinning disks. How is your SQL server configured when using NVMe? Do you still try and RAID everything or just use the drives on their own?

No RAID with the NVMe drives. The NVMe drives are fast enough on their own. You could put them into a RAID but the cost wouldn’t be feasible. We don’t have the fault tolerance we would with RAID but there are no moving parts. So it’s a calculated risk.

Be aware there are some deprecated functions in later versions of SQL that might trip you up if you are using them in BAQs. Not on my work computer at the moment so I can’t remember the specific instance, but it might have been some code that was created by CSG on their 2014 server and we were on 2016.

Here’s a link that might help

Take a look in the in the tree view and you will see all the deprecated functionality by version.

1 Like

@chaddb Sorry for resurrecting this old post, but regarding your storage, are you using NVMe in locally attached storage? No way this a a SAN or NAS, right?

Locally attached. The SQL server is used only for Epicor. So all local NVMe storage dedicated to Epicor.

That’s what I thought, but wanted to be sure. Thanks!!