Which UD Table is in use?

Ever wondered what UD tables have data? Here is a good SQL query that can help:

SELECT
      QUOTENAME(SCHEMA_NAME(sOBJ.schema_id)) + '.' + QUOTENAME(sOBJ.name) AS [TableName]
      , SUM(sPTN.Rows) AS [RowCount]
FROM 
      sys.objects AS sOBJ
      INNER JOIN sys.partitions AS sPTN
            ON sOBJ.object_id = sPTN.object_id
WHERE
      sOBJ.type = 'U'
      AND sOBJ.is_ms_shipped = 0x0
      AND index_id < 2 -- 0:Heap, 1:Clustered
	  AND QUOTENAME(sOBJ.name) LIKE '%UD%'
GROUP BY 
      sOBJ.schema_id
      , sOBJ.name
ORDER BY [TableName]
9 Likes

Thanks for that Jason, though you’re a few weeks late! I’ve just finished writing a register for our UD tables so we can track which are used and for what purpose.

The biggest problem I had was, we have had a couple of Epicor managers and a handful of different consultants during our Epicor journey. We have tables that are in use but don’t know if the data is still relevant. Since we’ve had the ability to create UD fields in our regular tables I get the feeling a few of our UD tables have been superseded or were used in reports that are no longer in use. This highlights the need for documenting the intention and implementation of customisation, or it’s poor chumps like me who have to try to reverse-engineer other developers intentions. I have at least two UD tables that have data in them which nobody can seem to identify. This effectively removes the tables from our pool of resources.

Does anyone know of any ingenious methods to identify if this data is being used? My current thoughts are to backup these tables, delete the data and wait for someone to scream…

If you aren’t MT SaaS, use Extended Properties to document tables and fields.
Also, make sure every UD table is using a creation date.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Query Jason!
Just tested it with a little variation, still not perfect, to make it a bit more accurate on Ice.UD tables.

SELECT
      QUOTENAME(SCHEMA_NAME(sOBJ.schema_id)) + '.' + QUOTENAME(sOBJ.name) AS [TableName]
      , SUM(sPTN.Rows) AS [RowCount]
FROM 
      sys.objects AS sOBJ
      INNER JOIN sys.partitions AS sPTN
            ON sOBJ.object_id = sPTN.object_id
	  INNER JOIN sys.schemas AS sch 
			ON sch.schema_id = sOBJ.schema_id
WHERE
      sOBJ.type = 'U'
      AND sOBJ.is_ms_shipped = 0x0
      AND index_id < 2 -- 0:Heap, 1:Clustered
	  AND sch.name = 'Ice'