Anyone ever successfully installed Windows Mobile 6.5 over Windows CE 7 Compact? All internet threads lead to its not possible because Compact has certain dll’s missing, must be lucky to have a good CE Edition or reach out to Zebra who owns the OS Images to Motorola, ship it to them and they can only do it.
You get those fancy .dll missing errors because the WM 6.5 installer actually relies on its WM Framework.
By the way those running WM/WEH or CE whats your plan for End of Life?
- June 10, 2018 - Windows Embedded CE 6.0 will be End of Life
- June 9, 2019 - Windows Embedded 8.1 Handheld will be End of Life
- January 14, 2020 - Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 will be End of Life
Intermec’s still shipping with Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 aka Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5.3
The Windows Mobile Platform died is no longer supplied with features/improvements, since the Microsoft .NET Compact Framework Team was moved to develop the Windows Phone Plattform. So these are the bastard childs and the spiritual continuation of Windows Mobile based on Windows Phone with some framework additions for datacapturing. Which include:
- Windows Embedded Handheld 8 (also named Windows Embedded 8 Handheld)
- Windows Embedded Handheld 8.1 (also named Windows Embedded 8.1 Handheld)
- Windows 10 IoT Mobile Enterprise