Windows Server 2019 and SQL 2019?

Just out of curiosity, let’s say Epicor didn’t list support for SQL 2019 yet and it wasn’t mentioned in any documentation. Could you still install SQL 2019 and run the Epicor database in SQL 2017 Compatibility Mode and still be okay with support? Then when they approve SQL 2019 you could change the Compatibility mode? Just been curious about that…

You could technically. Not sure what Epicor would say if you ever needed support. But from a technical standpoint it would work.

1 Like

SQL 2019 works just fine. On one of my divisions we’re on 10.2.600.9 and we’ve had no issues what so ever.

1 Like

No if you are running an unsupported version of SQL they are going to push back.

2 Likes

I assumed that was the case. I’d just assume follow the Epicor guidelines so that you have support. Even if it’s something that from a technical standpoint would work. I will do it the Epicor way to ensure support.

Initial impression with Server 2019… not great. It’s definitely slower than our Server 2016 VMs. The 2019 VMs are a clone of the 2016 VMs just with Server 2019 instead of Server 2016. So I know it’s not the hardware or VMs. Something with Server 2019 is causing Epicor to be slower.

@Aaron_Moreng - You just did an update to 10.2.600. Are you running on Server 2019?

2016 for sql and app servers here

1 Like

Hi @chaddb, are you testing the appserver or the client (or both) on 2019? I haven’t tried an appserver on 2019 yet, just clients.

Both.

Think it’s bad enough to stop you from going live on server 2019?

We’re pretty much stuck with running the clients on server 2019 now, but at least we can hold off moving the appserver for some time.

I don’t think so. We just started out 10.2.600 testing so it will be about a month before we go live on .600. I am hoping by then I can work out the issues with Server 2019. As of now we are planning to go live with .600 on Server 2019.

I guess they went to the ‘Outlook’ school of Microsoft progress where they throw tons of crap into the
‘new version’ that few use but it get’s slower and more bloated by the minute

It’s actually running fine now once we got the server tuned.

1 Like

It’s important to compare apples with apples.

Care to share what you did to fine tune your system to get the best out of Epicor? Anything we can all apply as best practice?