WIP is garbage

How are you able to display current WIP qtys? Ie, parts that are sitting/assigned to a current weld cell.

I’ve had a ticket open with Epicor about it, and they seem to think its been resolved in 10.2.300, but I don’t have a test environment set up yet to try any of it.

PRB0203244

We don’t, we just add up the labor and material cost that have been accrued and that is the current wip cost for jobs that haven’t finished yet. The current quantities end up being irrelevant for us. It’s kind of hard to determine what you count where.

In that case, is the solution for this to just try not to use wip, and have each operation receive the sub assembly into inventory? Then each operation after would need to issue the material from inventory to the operation.

This is exactly what we do. We are also MTO. It’s a lot of transactions, but for us if something is in WIP for 20 days it’s not WIP, it’s in-process inventory and is valued higher in our borrowing base calculation. Not to mention we need to know how many TONS are in process, not just dollars like Epicor wants to give us. The only things in WIP are physically on a machine.

So we tested through it and what I’m seeing is when you go to Packout tab it will auto pull in the job for MTO (It does that unavoidably on the Handheld so I would need to work around that no biggie). It’s fine though, remove job number and it adds the shipment detail from inventory as expected. However the packout does not recognize that anything has been packed out at all so that is a problem anyone else see this? Packed qty for that order line remains 0.

There can be real problems with MTO orders that are left open over multiple shipments… Wondering if you thought of simply making multiple jobs instead… like pre-planning the shipment size in the Order (multiple releases), and then create one job per release. Then each job would finish on its own, and ship complete.
Years ago, I worked for an MTO company, but we decided, for the purpose of costing, inventory control, etc, that we would run everything through inventory. We trained the staff to look at TimePhase to see “why” they were making a job, instead of relying on the MTO info. Another reason we did this was because we had a yield problem, and sometimes we had underruns or overruns… Inventory became the buffer.

2 Likes

For anyone that is interested we finally got to the bottom of it. It is a bug with how WIP is calculated on final operation. Some deep debugging, reflection, and various screen captures finally got Epicor and I to a reproduce-able state!

Case CS0001501006 | PRB0213492

Targeted fix 10.2.200.31 August release ish. Not really sure what version of 400 that will be, but current version 400.3 is also broken.

2 Likes