2021-04 Cumulative Update for 2004/20H2 (KB5001330)

@jdewitt6029

1. What Windows 10 version are the 4 computers using?
  2. What Windows Cumulative Update is installed on the 4 computers?

My computer is running Windows 10 20H2 with KB5001330 Cumulative Update. The CU was installed April 14 and was noticing a lot more not responding, longer times to load data, lagging window, etc with the Epicor client. I had IT install the fix on my computer on April 20 which upon initial testing seemed to be better but really has not done much for me. It was pointed out to the that this Cumulative Update has a number of issues so I am wondering if it is the Cumulative Update that is more of the problem making it seem like the fix did not work. I have not tried what @Noffie has suggested though.

I also had a user disable themes in Epicor client which the user reported has worked but is not a permanent solution as the look after disabling is not very friendly for looking at the fields or data which that user agreed. The user has had to reenable themes to be able to run a report or something as well.

1 Like

I went to look at the link that @TomAlexander posted above and found someone from Epicor had an update from today indicating that Microsoft team found more issues than they expected. I am reposting the link so people do not have to scroll up as well as the update today.

ERP 10 - February and March 2021 Windows Updates Causing Performance Issues - Knowledge Portal (service-now.com)

Update April 29th:

• The Microsoft team found more issues than they expected, so they are working on a more comprehensive fix than what they sent out as a manual fix. They are going to send Epicor a new patch to test soon.
  • Disabling theming at the user level has been reported to be an effective workaround by several customers.
    • This is done from Settings > General Options > Preferences > Theming > Disable Theming.
    • Epicor has been liaising with Infragistics, conducting test to identify if a particular theme or font is triggering this issue. Infragistics users have reported issues with the Segoe font, which is used by the Kinetic.isl theme.
  • The Microsoft interim fix release on April 6th has now been successfully tested by several customers.
5 Likes

@pmchikes , The Windows versions today that I attempted are:
20h2 with KB5000802 - this one had some improvement but still not what it was before updates.
20h2 with KB5001330 - no change with fix
2004 with KB5001330 - no change with fix

I tried turning off theming but it made no difference.

@jdewitt6029 I assume you closed Epicor client and opened Epicor client again for the setting to take effect. If so, I would say to open a ticket with Epicor support if not done so already unless someone else has something that might help.

Yep. @slitzau and I are going to do some more testing tomorrow (4/30) and probably reach out to Epicor to discuss.

I should be clear - when I say our clients are “fixed” I mean that you can go into job entry or sales order entry and open a job/order, and it takes 2-4 seconds instead of 6-10 seconds. As far as the dragging around of windows lagging behind the mouse extremely, that issue has plagued our Epicor 10 clients for much longer (since sometime last year) and while @josecgomez claims this hotfix resolves that for his environment, I’ve not observed the hotfix fixing that behavior for us on any clients. But I’m less worried about that, it doesn’t affect my users much, mostly the loading of records slowing way down was the issue.

1 Like

You are right @Noffie .

After recent Windows updates, moving certain Epicor forms across desktop is super laggy before and after the fix. Nothing fixes that behavior for us.

What the fix does seem to address is the time certain forms take to load. Before Windows updates, quote entry form takes 2-4 secs to open/load. After updates and before fix, 8-10 sec to load. After applying fix, 4-6 seconds to load.

So it is better but not what it once was.

Of course users will focus on what is not fixed.

2 Likes

So were you were having the lagging issue when moving a form even before the cumulative update?
I just installed KB4023057 on a client machine and, all of a sudden, getting the issue. The worst is on the job entry screen that will keep moving for a good 3 seconds after you stop moving it.

1 Like

We personally were - I wish I had more exact timing / dates, but I know we were observing the form lagging issue back in 2020 and it wasn’t until the February 2021 cumulative updates that we started experiencing the record loading performance hit just like everyone else.

2 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation. It would seem there are two distinct issues then:

1. Record Loading - Resolved by (or at least helped by, it would seem) https://epicorcs.service-now.com/epiccare?id=epiccare_kb_article&sys_id=abdb5c9bdb972410a587ef0705961996
  2. Lagging Forms when moving - seems to be resolved by whatever solution 2WTech are giving their customers (Of which we are not)

Does this seem right to you?
The problem is that you search for Forms Lagging and you get a resolution to record loading. :roll_eyes:

I do agree they seem, to us at least, to be two distinct issues. Now @josecgomez had said on the other thread he believed they were not, that they were related, and he’s a pretty savvy Epicor admin. It just doesn’t seem to be our experience - like I said, we’ve observed the form lagging all the way back in 2020, and we have many cases where the Epicor hotfix you link to fixes the record loading speed but not the form dragging lag issue.

I was under the impression 2WTech was sharing / offering to apply the exact same fix that Epicor has now provided to all its users - the same one you link to there - but I guess I don’t know that 100%. @Vitesse could probably confirm that for you - he seemed to be the 2WTech representative on the other thread.

I have been going back and forth with Epicor on this issue (Case: CS0002554653).

It is apparent they are separate yet similar issues. I have upgraded many Windows to 2004 and 20H2 and every one of them as started to have the issues. Yes, I had to install the fixes provided via Microsoft and Epicor to fix the loading times but the Window movement lag issue stays.

The only solution, yes it works, to solve the lagging issue is to disable Windows visual effect features. In this case disabling ‘Show window contents while dragging’. https://winaero.com/show-hide-window-contents-while-dragging-windows-10/

I would prefer not to have to disable Windows features just because of Epicor. So far Epicor support has told me to disable that Windows feature or upgrade and start using Kinetic. :neutral_face:

No other option. No other solution. Just a ‘sorry for the inconvenience’. :cry:

I am trying to escalate.

2 Likes

I feel your pain.

YES! Thanks for triggering my memory @jdewitt6029 - that is when we started seeing this issue, when we applied the 2004 Windows 10 feature update last year (or maybe the 20H2, but I knew there was something in 2020 that changed that made us start seeing the drag lag issue!)

1 Like

Microsoft created one work-around for this issue (which both 2W Technologies and Epicor received). The long-term fix will come via normal Microsoft Updates when Microsoft is done developing it. No official ETA on when the long-term fix will be released, but it was not out in April, nor will it be in May.

We were only focusing on the slow return/processing of data, not the screen lag when moving a window.

Epicor closed the ticket with this response. :sob:

Hello as this issue is with Microsoft updates unfortunately erp support would not be able to provide additional information in regard to this issue. Please reach out to Microsoft for further questions on this thank you

I disagree but what can I do. :roll_eyes:
It only happens with Epicor Entry/Tracker forms (that we can tell), happens to all of our PC’s that have Windows Update 2004 and 20H2, the fix for load issues does not fix this issue.

1 Like

Hi,

try to do the following.

Hi,

try to do the following.

Create a simple BAQ. (example – Company file).

Create a Runtime Dashboard using this BAQ but please add a graph to Dashboard.

Add this Dashboard to Epicor Menu.

Exit from Epicor and sing-in again.

Open the new Dashboard from menu and Close it.

Open any tracker and refresh data.

It works as previous, before Windows Update without any loading issues.

Regards

Stelios

2 Likes

Really?

I have tested to my environment and it is crazy.