2021-04 Cumulative Update for 2004/20H2 (KB5001330)

@SteliosZoumis - you believe your BAQ dashboard with graph “workaround” resolves the performance issue with loading / refreshing / changing records in data entry / tracker programs? Or the screen lagging while dragging issue?

The lagging is back I was quick to judge because it went away (for the first time in forever) when we applied the fix. However a few days later it came back. So it was it seems a red herring.

2 Likes

Both.

@jdewitt6029 maybe this will do it? Stelios is saying it will.

How? Or perhaps the better question is… why?

1 Like

Not to add fuel to the fire but the ‘fixes’ provided by MS and Epicor do not fix any of the issues, including the long load times, for Epicor sessions running in a VDI environment. :sob:

I am sure he already knows about the dragging issue and this but I will ping the all-knowing rubber ducky. @aidacra

Well, I feel like a broken record here but I had two laptops this morning that had the latest:

Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB5003173) - (for Windows 10 20H2 and 2004)

update installed and it caused their Epicor windows to take a much longer time to open (45 secs instead of 5 secs) and other processes within Epicor to run slower.

One laptop does have one of the recommended fixes that Epicor suggested from the other thread applied to it (20H2) and the other laptop did not. So I’m not sure if there is another fix for this latest update? I just uninstalled and blocked that latest update on their systems again…I really hate having to do this but I’m not sure if there is a better solution that someone could provide?

I just hope Epicor is still working on this issue because it is still an issue, at least for us. Is there a ticket still out there that I can add to or should I submit a new one of my own?

2 Likes

I too hope they are still working on it. This continues to be a serious issue. For us, our entire production floor runs on VDI and we had to upgrade our Win10 to 20H2 to solve a Vmware issue and now are hampered by the terribly slow Epicor issue. Like I said earlier, none of the fixes seem to touch the issue on those systems.

I would create your own ticket. I am not getting much movement on mine. :sob:

I am also unable to test @SteliosZoumis … strange suggested fix either because we don’t have executive dashboard module which is required for charts and graphs in dashboards. :pensive:

1 Like

Those two laptops that I worked on this morning both have 20H2 on them but I don’t believe they have any other updates (cause I’ve removed and blocked them all…heh). They are both still experiencing the Epicor Window lag issue.

You know, maybe I’m crazy but I think I noticed the lagging issue right after I installed the 20H2 update itself. I haven’t tried uninstalling 20H2 yet just to test and see if that takes care of it. The lagging hasn’t been a real big issue for me/us so I haven’t had a chance to look into where it came from and when it started happening. I guess if you have to have 20H2 to solve a VMWare issue you are kind of stuck…

I have not tried that…interesting…fix either. I guess I should give it a whirl but I wonder if his fix is still working after applying this latest Windows update? I’ll submit a ticket on my own too and see if I can add some more fuel to the fire… thanks!

I just wanted to throw it out there, do you have the ability to Virtualize Applications like Epicor with your VMWare products? Is it VMWare ThinApp? Just curious if within your VDI you can Virtualize the Epicor Client to run under a different version of Windows? I haven’t worked much with Application Virtualization but if you have that ability maybe something to look into? :woman_shrugging:

Getting technical here @ERPSysAdmin !

1 Like

Not sure how technical it is when I don’t know much about it… LOL :laughing: It has always “sounded” good though…and looked magical. :unicorn: :cat: :sparkles: :rainbow:

It’s possible that the idea is…

…But I wanted someone else to try it! LOL
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just saw this so maybe just need to be patient for a little while longer…but, for us, I would add the most recent release to that list and I’ll pass that along…

2 Likes

If anyone is having slowness from Epicor due to recent Windows 10 updates you may have to contact 2W-tech they have been working with Microsoft on this issue for a bit and have been given a few .msi files to block some features that are causing Epicor slowness. This is not something you will find online! Not sure how to distribute the .msi files but let me know if anyone is interested. Microsoft is not disclosing when this fix will be applied but it is in the works. 2W-tech is from Wisconsin I assume nobody here works with this company…

I believe @Vitesse does…

Well the only fix I know of is from 2W-tech so if nobody wants the .msi files from me they will need to contact that company for the fix. They are very knowledgeable with Epicor on the highest level.

Yes, the long-term Microsoft solution is not yet out. The work-around (the *.msi files) is from Microsoft and it only disables the particular Microsoft feature which caused the performance regression in the Epicor ERP Client.

The work-around (*.msi) is specific to the version of Windows 10 that you are running. 2004 and 20H2 use the same *.MSI, but there are different ones for the other two supported versions of Windows 10.

If you installed the MSI or deployed it via Group Policy, and it did not improve performance, 2W Technologies does know how to determine if it was correctly applied. *I have yet to see a scenario where the .msi work-around did not resolve the Epicor ERP Client performance degradation issue.

As I saw a comment about this too, 2W Technologies does also have expertise in putting Epicor ERP into a Microsoft Azure Cloud Server and deploying it as a Remote App (so that the Epicor ERP Client is actually running on another computer, but looks and feels like it was installed on your local PC, even though it is not installed there and is running from an Azure computer). In fact, 2W Technologies has actually worked with both Microsoft and Epicor to certify it, so that it is an actual product, “Epicor in Azure”.

Hope that info is helpful.

1 Like

@Vitesse is it the same fix that Epicor is providing or no?

Microsoft created one work-around. Different MSI installers for different versions of Windows 10. Both 2W Technologies and Epicor received the work-around files for testing. Then after observing the performance improvement (and learning the long-term solution would take some time to be developed) I requested permission from Microsoft to re-distribute the work-around.

I have the slowness issue fixed with the work-around MSI file on my system, but I still have the drag issue :frowning: Hopefully it will all be fixed in July…

1 Like