2023.5 Blows up customizations

It’s much better than before where your controls just disappeared completely.
This saves you from having to recreate the control from scratch, contacting support to get a fix, or modifying the parent ID in the JSON manually. Now, all you have to do is just move it back to where you need it, then remove the orphaned card.

3 Likes

Yes, it is probably related, and we knew and tried to warn everyone. Note that we will NOT be doing this every release with every screen… some of these screens have not been changed in over 18 years, but it was time to fix the sequence of fields and organization of things.
When Smart Client was converted to Kinetic Browser based UI, the old “tabs” were converted to “Cards”, and nothing much else was done. but this pass, we had humans look at these screens to make them more usable by humans.
In order to fix some of these things, we had to move fields from one “container” (card) to another. in some cases, we completely eliminated cards because it was more efficient. but if you customized something on that card by adding a new user defined field to that card, your field is now ORPHANED…
As others have stated, App Studio has a listing of orphaned items so that you can quickly fix them.

4 Likes

We had one screen customization where that occurred. All the others came through fine.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Epicor made us our own “Orphaned Components” group box and showed us all the controls that were orphaned. I liked that.

We had one screen affected so far. Haven’t checked the rest.

2 Likes

We just recently upgraded to 2023.1.8 and I am working on resolving an Orphaned Component. I moved the orphaned field to a new section and removed the Orphaned section however I still can’t open the Cash Receipt Tracker as it is still giving me “Sorry! Something went wrong. Please contact your system administrator. Correlation Id: d5942b95-178e-481d-8447-0a6a48e600a8”. The Orphaned error has gone away which was the 2nd error I would get when opening this menu.
Anyone else have this issue? I cleared my cache and logged out and back in after removing the Orphaned section.

Check your event viewer on the server to read what the specific error is.

We are in the cloud so no server. I did log into the web browser and ran in developer mode but not sure what to look for.

You really can’t know without seeing that server log.
@klincecum posted a dashboard around here somewhere that allows cloud users to see those.

3 Likes
1 Like

With 2023.1, Server Logs for SaaS customers should now be available from the File Download UI - Admin folder.

Do we have to request they be turned on? I do not have them in my Pilot environment.

Or did you perhaps mean 2023.2 ?

2 Likes

We’re on 2023.1.x and can’t see our logs to download them. I’m with @klincecum I think it’s coming just not until 2023.2 or some thing we need to ask to be enabled.

Product change was made in 2023.1 but it needed a configuration change on the AppServer configuration. After checking with the Cloud team, it looks like the work to enable this was not rolled out for all systems.

You can enable this via a Service Now request to change the Server logging location to your EpicorData folder and enabling the Server logging.

Kevin - have you checked your AKS environment?

Yes sir, not there either.

How is cleanup handled? Do we need to handle it when there are too many?

Cleanup / management (with the exception of Application logging for things like MRP) is automatic. There is a specification for max size of log files and number of log files to retain (I think Cloud Ops sets the production limits to something like 20 Megs and 10 files). Once the active log file hits max size, a new log file is started and the oldest log file is deleted - assuming the maximum number of log files to retain has been reached.

AKS environment - I will check on that.

1 Like

I bother y’all enough, no rush :blush:

Will this need to be requested to be enabled, or is enabled by default for all cloud customers on 2023.1 moving forward?

Was this mentioned in release notes anywhere?

Rollout for all Cloud Customers has been delayed (my bad, I thought it had been done to coincide with the feature work done in 2023.1). This is being applied as we upgrade the Cloud infrastructure but if not done for an instance, it can be requested via EpicCare.

Surprisingly, this was not included in the Release Notes but it is documented in the Server File Download section - new Admin Folder option. The option is available for all Systems - Cloud and on-prem.

2 Likes

I have it now in my AKS environment. It works as expected.

Now, time to build a dashboard. :safe_harbor:

1 Like

Oh man, this is awesome, and also totally sucks.