Add Custom Field

Where can I find the info n how to add a custom field to a table? I am needing to add a filed to the Customer table. My predecessor setup somethings that we use and they want me to add another Name_c to the table.

It is well documented in the On Line help

Search for " Create the User-Defined Table" then back up one level

2 Likes

Search the help for

• “Developing a Modified Version of an Epicor Shipped SSRS Report”

for a good step-by-step example of adding a UD field to a table, and then adding that field to an Epicor supplied report

1 Like

Side note, When you do a Data Regeneration, does that interfere with other Epicor Users? I am assuming yes, but I have been known to be wrong. Normally I do it outside of business hours, but If I can do it during, this would help me out today tremendously. So, decided to ask.

That is a question that inspired lots of opinions…

1 Like

Well, I’ll just wait. No need to have any potential of any problems! Have enough without creating my own!!

1 Like

In conclusion …

The basic steps are:

1. Extended UD Table Maintenance
  2. Regen data model
  3. Recycle App Pool

Which of these can be done while users are:

1. Users are logged in
  2. Users are performing transactions
  3. Scheduled processes are running

And what about the periods between those basic steps? Is it okay for any of the above actions to happen after Ext Table maint is performed, but before the regen? Or After the regen, but before the App Pool recycle?

1 Like

You definitely want to do steps 1-3 all at the same time - don’t leave time between them, this can definitely cause problems. If you’ve added the fields but not done a Data Model Regen, then the running app server knows nothing about that new field. Following on from that, if you’ve done the Data Model Regen and not done a Recycle on each appserver, then again it still knows nothing about the new Model because it caches that during the spin-up process.

If you can schedule these actions during maintenance window then that has to be the best solution, but my system is 24/7 - I therefore tried in a quiet time adding a new table/fields, and it was fine. I tried again, and similarly no problem. I have therefore tried and tested it, and no had any issues - your mileage may vary, but I’m quite comfortable doing it during live operation. I would though NOT be doing it during heavy process runs like whilst MRP was running!

2 Likes