Ancora (IDC) can't split and index off of a barcode fixed to the document you wish to file away?

For documents where the location of a key field is predictable (such as your pack slip because you control the layout of it), then you can just use the OCR built into ECM - doesn’t have a page count licensing model - and your license seems to include it already.

Yeah, we’re finding out that IDC is “Too smart” and tries to do too much. It works ok for the pack slip because the whole pack slip is ours and so the page fits the “template” (mostly), but we had to add VendorID (of ourselves) because without that, I think it was tying it to the barcode, which, by necessity had different info in it every time. So it was always thinking it as a new document. :man_facepalming:. Once we did that though, it’s probably at 90%+ of doing it’s job without any intervention.

Unfortunately, That won’t work though for things like receipt documents where we would place a barcode label on whatever paperwork comes in, because they wouldn’t be categorized correctly, or it would have to learn every vendor that sends us stuff, which we don’t want to count on. We also would like to use this same procedure for other things, like invoice attachments, or whatever. We are going to code the attachment type in the barcode so we can open this up to other areas. So that means all kinds of random stuff that could come it.

So we bought (or are buying) the 2D license so that we can use QR codes in ECM and skip IDC. ECM’s model is not AI, it’s literally “Look right here” but that’s a better fit for this model because we can either set a region, or have it read all of the barcodes and check against a rigid format standard to decide if whatever barcode it finds should be used for categorization.

So, @utaylor, while you originally chose ECM because of the cost, I think you actually chose the right tool for this job. AI is a great guesser, but it’s not always right, which means it takes some hand holding. ECM is the traditional “follow these exact instructions, to a fault”, and in this case, is the better approach.

I’d love to discuss this with you - maybe at Insights. Sounds like you are using IDC when you should just be using the ECM Client and let it do its job. It’s easy to segregate input paths to equal Doc types and it will not associate the barcode with anything but what you want it to. I’m simplifying for the sake of not high jacking this thread, but I think we should compare notes at some point.

Brandon, I had ECM read the whole page and look for any and all QR codes, but what I did was I put a prefix on my QR code data and made a workflow step to only reference the data that started with “zzz” that it picked up off the whole page so that I didn’t have to reference a singular position… if that makes sense. In other words, it didn’t matter where the label was.

1 Like

We had a stuck license issue with ECM, so I just started with IDC to get something going instead of waiting. Then we went with 2d barcodes, and again licensing, which we are fixing.

Originally I didn’t think IDC would have a problem with such a simple task. But alas, here we are. lol.

FWIW, it is “working” just not as good, or a flexibly as I would like.

1 Like

That is one solution…
Plus, you won’t consume additional pages in IDC.

How about something more automated?
What about adding the document as an attachment on the packing slip?

You can completely automate the entire solution this way. Drag…drop…
The users wouldn’t need to go in DocStar at all.

1 Like

That’s what they were doing. But they had to scan each individual attachment in, then go and find the record in epicor and attach it. When you do a bunch of shipments, that’s a lot of clicking a

With this solution, they can scan to an email from the copier. They don’t have to do anything after that. IDC is reading the barcode, and splitting the documents (they can scan in a whole stack of packslips at once) then auto sends it to ECM, and ECM takes that and attaches it to the related epicor records.

We have like 300K a year for some reason, and aren’t even close to using those up, so it wasn’t an extra cost to us.

1 Like

That makes sense. That was exactly the reason we had to put the same solution in place for packing slips.
The only thing you need to make sure of is that the copier is consistently bringing over a barcode that ECM can read…or you will have documents sitting out there related to nothing.

1 Like