Anyone know if Log4j is used by any version of Epicor

Hey Everyone!!! New EMAIL from Docstar/Epicor

Attention on-premises Epicor ECM customers:

On Monday, December 13, 2021, we sent you an email about a newly discovered vulnerability in SOLR. We are following up with today’s email because a vulnerability was discovered yesterday in Monday’s recommended fix to address log4j vulnerability CVE-2021-44228. See this link for additional details.
Epicor ECM uses Apache SOLR as its indexing server. The default SOLR configuration uses one of the vulnerable logging patterns.

Until SOLR releases a recommendation or a fix, we recommend on-premises ECM customers turn off logging in SOLR entirely.

•	Logging can be disabled from the SOLR Admin panel by setting root, com, and org to OFF: See Configuring Logging instructions and screenshot below.
•	To access the SOLR Admin panel you can check the SOLR URL in the DocStar Server Configuration application, and then change the settings in the SOLR Logging tab. See also our knowledgebase article.

If you have specific questions about the enclosed, please call customer support at 866.243.2240. As always, thank you for being a valued Epicor ECM customer!
3 Likes

1 Like

Hahaha.

With the Canary Token mentioned above or this service I just heard about on Security Now, any user can test any software on their own. Be careful about running it services that you don’t own since it will look like an attack. Get permission first.

As I turned off the logging on the SOLR Admin Panel, I noticed this warning on the top level of the Logging section:

This has sent me down a rabbit hole; checking on versions installed, how to patch stuff, etc.

Has anyone gone as far as updating Solr? Any advice on how?

Epicor’s official response can be found here: Security Notification | Epicor U.S.

1 Like

That post says to check the knowledge base but im only seeing 2 articles in the knowledge base when i search by Log4J.

I put in a case asking if EKM was at risk and this was the response.

i was looking for a Yes / No answer.

You got a non-Boolean reply. I’m going to guess is that they don’t know for sure yet so can’t give a yes/no answer.

Did you give the response the correct type when asking? I’m thinking something like…

string question = "Is EKM at Risk?";
bool response(question);
2 Likes

This is the Epic Care message on the home page as of today.

This is the only KB article still at this point.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay on the EKM product. We are getting a KB written up for this now. The delay has been getting these details from the 3rd Party (SAP). EKM leverages Tomcat and hence requires the following actions to mitigate.

Go to TOMCAT\bin folder
Execute Tomcat9w.exe
Go to Java tab
Enter “-Dlog4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true” to the Java options
Restart Tomcat

3 Likes

@Edge - Can Epicor at least list the various modules for OnPrem, and give a status of “Vulnerable, Fix WorkAround, NotVoln, Investigating”? I’m sure a ton is going on behind the scene, but a generic statement of “wait for a KB” doesn’t lend confidence, especially since it’s not pushed out to the customers (we’re left clicking search “Log4j” in Epicare multiple times a day, to see if anything more has been shared). If cloud has already been secured per the splash message, please share the same steps for on-prem, so we can do the same.

I could be handled similar to https://github.com/NCSC-NL/log4shell/tree/main/software:

NCSC-NL will use the following status:

Status Description
Vulnerable Software is vulnerable for CVE-2021-44228.
Fix Software contains a fix for CVE-2021-44228
Workaround Software is vulnerable but mitigation steps are available
Not vuln Software is NOT vulnerable for CVE-2021-44228.
Investigation Software is under investigation whether it is vulnerable or not

Thanks,

Yes we are working on one KB that outlines everything that should be online soon. I can share that we only have ECM On premise SOLR configuration as a confirmed issue with a workaround configuration. With EKM (we are still investigating if it is able to exploit, but shared the guidance re configuration as above). CPQ and ECC use Elastic Search that has been patched in cloud and not provided on premise. All other products are not impacted by CVE-2021-44228 as of writing.

3 Likes

This is the list on EpicCare

@Edge - Any update on QBuild / CAD Link that uses Java 7?

1 Like

They confirmed no impact.

2 Likes

where is that list?

Look on Epic Care for KB0118166

1 Like

holy cow I like this

Tip of the hat to Richard Campbell for this one

4 Likes