AR Invoices Group Printing

Has anyone set up SSRS Break/Routing on the AR Form to email Invoices from a Group in Invoice Entry?

Yes, we have that working. What did you need to know?

Did you have to do some funky criteria to the RDD? When we started testing we realized that it was pulling the wrong contact email. it kept pulling the ship to contact email. We noticed the Contact Num was identical for multiple contacts. Just curious how you are pulling the email address. We do have it working but just wondering what others have done and if an an easier/cleaner way.

Can I hijack this thread and ask how you are dealing with sending a large quantity of Invoices through Breaking and Routing for a single Customer?

Are you sending them all as one single Attachment or are you sending them as Individual Attachments? We have some customers who prefer that we send each Invoice as its own attachment.

For one example, I had a customer with 124 one-page invoices and sending them all in one single attachment worked fine. But if I separate them out into individual attachments on one email, I get an error that seems to indicate that I reached some sort of Attachment size limit and the email does not go through. Would the single attachment be comparably the same size as if I totaled up the individual attachments? Is that truly a size limitation or a quantity of attachments limitation?

How can I send one single attachment just fine but when separated out into individual attachments it hits a size limit? Has anyone experienced this and any ideas on how to accomplish this or ideas on how to break up my attachments and email them in smaller batches so they get sent through without error?

I hope this is okay to post here, it seemed somewhat related. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, good point. Right now we have it set up they will get an email for each Invoice from the group.

1 Like

I have two Report Styles setup right now. One breaks by CustID and then Groups By CustID and emails the set of Invoices for a Customer as one single Attachment. The other breaks by CustID AND Invoice# and then groups by CustID and sends the Invoices as Individual Attachments on one single email per customer.

I might eventually be able to combine these two report styles into one if I create a field on the Customer where we can indicate whether they prefer to have their Invoices sent together or as separate attachments. But right now I leave that into the control of the person running the Invoices.

I’ve been able to send small quantities of Invoice attachments but when I get to large batches I get the error that seems to indicate a size limit but as I said combining the attachments into one works just fine. It seems to me as if it is a quantity limit as to the number of attachments it will allow versus an attachment size limitation. That’s just my guess based on what I am seeing in my testing. If that’s the case, just wondering if anyone knew what that attachment limit would be or if anyone could share some ideas on how to break these invoices into smaller batches.

1 Like

I will have to test it and let you know. I don’t think we have many large groups so not sure I will run into the issue.

1 Like

Best practice is to send one invoice per email. This is being requested by all our customers who have some sort of automated invoice processing at their. As a result we made it one invoice per for all our customers. This keeps the process simple. If a customer doesn’t get any one invoice we just send the same again.

Vinay Kamboj

1 Like

We did find complications of various sorts, I will admit.

• It sounds like you didn’t filter out ShipTo contacts when using the billing contact ConNum. Using only contacts with ShipToNum empty makes sure you have the right email … but you say you have that sorted now.
  • We ran into some problems with the break on invoice number. There are rare occasions when an invoice runs to a second page but that second page has no lines, in which case it also gets the wrong invoice number. So we now generally use a BPM to send each invoice individually rather than mass printing, which solves the problem.
  • We have also had issues where we can’t prove the invoice was sent or who to, so we’ve fallen back on another BPM to stamp the email address on the invoice header record rather than relying on the RDD to find it on the fly.
  • We wanted to stop invoices being sent multiple times, but we found that the DocumentPrinted field isn’t totally reliable and can sometimes be set to “true” before the routing has actually happened, meaning the invoice never goes at all, so we’ve also added our own field for that.
  • Our custom “sent” field is set to true by a BPM on the SysTaskLog table, so it only happens when the invoice has definitely gone.
  • Some customers require printed invoices, so that’s another UD field, which again for record purposes is on the invoice header table as well as the customer itself, in case of later queries.
  • The final step in record keeping is that we’ve set up an extra mailbox in Exchange and all important auto-sent documents are bcc’d to that mailbox.

You can probably tell from all this that it took a while for our invoice routing to become totally reliable! But it is working well now.