Auom (Advanced unit of measure)

Hello,

I was able to get access to AUOM during Insighs, but had some questions.

Are you able to price by attribute or only on the part level? We manufacture labratory surfaces and hi temp parts, and a lot of the lab surfaces are the same material, just different thicknesses and colors… which are all different prices. I’m trying to figure out how beneficial AUOM would be for us. We have a lot of remnant board stock and it is tough to track it in the sysem, so we usually don’t, which causes issues. Does anyone here have a lot of sheet goods where they benefit from using AUOM? I know it’s not one size fits all, I just want to make sure it will help solve our problem if we purchase it.

Thank you in advance!

My understanding is that the functionality to price by attribute is under development but not available yet. Probably best to get that verified with your account manager.

1 Like

What is "AUOM "…?

1 Like

Advanced unit of measure

3 Likes

@aosemwengie1 is correct. They are looking into being able to price by attribute set. I spoke with the head of AUOM at Insights and volunteered to help with it if they need customer help. I do not expect that functionality to be in the system for a while as it would be a very complicated solution.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to work on this with them. I also recommended another person to them and hope that they too can join in. It will be a great feature.

Currently Lot costing should be able to meet your needs.
I will be learning and evaluating AUOM over the next couple months for a company that is using sheet stock. They were told by Epicor sales that the management of the drops from the sheet stock will be managed best using AUOM.

I am very interested in talking with other users on how to best utilize the module. The Epicor Learning Center has a course but is it not well crafted because it is showing how to buy metal based on the dimensions LxWxThickness which results in a Volume - however the uom for volume was FT - which makes no sense.

I will be reviewing the Insights labbook to see if it is a better example.

I talked to a customer at Insights that purchased the AUOM - however, he found that he could only apply the AUOM to “NEW” parts, and he was not willing to recreate the thousands of parts they currently have in inventory.

Maybe Epicor will come up with a conversion for us regular people soon - because this functionality has great potential, but not at the current cost.

DaveO

1 Like

But that is how sheet metal is bought, in inches/feet length x width. You also call out the thickness generally as something static on the part. You would not have 1 part number for multiple thicknesses

That is the point of AUOM though, if they recreated their parts there would only be a couple hundred maybe, but definitely not thousands.

To clarify John - the learning center class describes buying some steel

Create a Purchase Order

Previously, you entered the ‘Metal T Bar’ part and tied it to the dynamic attribute class, dual class, and you also set it to ‘Track Inventory Attributes’. However, you currently have zero quantity in your inventory so you need to buy some.

Next, buy 136 Feet (FT) of the Metal T Bar part, which is 1,632 Inches (IN).

You order 136 FT as:

• 1 unit of:
Attribute Value
Length 5.00
Width 5.00
Height 4.00
Volume 100.00
  • 1 unit of:
Attribute Value
Length 6.00
Width 2.00
Height 3.00
Volume 36.00

The UOM is FT not Cubic Feet - that’s the confusing part of the course.
Hopefully the one from Insights makes more sense.

Have you implemented AUOM?

Yes, I have. I was just trying to point out that even though all metal is technically calculated by volume, it is never ordered that way. It is purchased in length for any “bar” type and length x width for sheet and plate. Sometimes it is purchased by weight and that is where volume comes in. To calculate the weight, you multiply the volume by its density.

2 Likes

Dave I asked them at the conference and they said they provided a way to not have to do that. Because I too was very upset to hear that when they first unveiled this module a few years ago.

I can see if I can get an official statement on this.

1 Like

The best way to implement it is to have all new part numbers. I see no other way of doing it. Most companies have multiple part numbers for 1 part. AUOM allows you to have 1 part number for multiple cuts. How else do you get from multiple part numbers to 1 part number? Do you just select a random one? And then how do you update all of the MOMs? There is so much more to it than just the part numbers, I 100% disagree with Epicor doing something to convert old part numbers. There would be too many issues.

3 Likes

Okay, I’m just saying what I understood from the conversation I had with them at the booth. Maybe I didn’t phrase the question appropriately so they just responded “yes,” but I can totally see what you’re saying John.

1 Like

All good @utaylor !! Just having a healthy conversation about the topic.

All love and respect to you.

2 Likes

Oh I feel no disrespect man! Thank you for clarifying though :pray: :pray:

Here’s a statement :safe_harbor: from a source at Epicor:

“…you can take an existing part and make it a Track Inventory Attributes part – as of 2023.2.”

and

“Once you turn the feature on you cannot turn it off so work with it in pilot/test environment first to know that it’s the best function to add to the part. In the same test area I would take a part that has a lot of open Supply/Demand against it so you know what happens. We allow you to perform an inventory transfer that takes the qty with no attributes and assigns all the quantity to a default attribute set. In various screens the attribute set may not default in (because the data wasn’t setup that way to start) but you can select an attribute set to work with. For example a finished good on a job – the job may not have been setup with the part as track inventory attributes part but at time of job receipt to inventory you would be required to supply an attribute set. But in Quote Entry and PO Entry we actually do not require an attribute set to be established on the line – its only at the time a transaction occurs like pushing a quote to an order or receiving in a PO.”

If we have any more questions about it I can ask.

@jkane and @DaveOlender

3 Likes

That is interesting. I am quite surprised that they did that. My concern is that customers will have 5 part numbers for the same part and will try to turn it on for all of them instead of consolidating to 1 part.

1 Like

I mean that’d be up to us to realize and implement accordingly, right? Or no?