Backflush not working

@SPhillips That does sound like the Labor record that is being created from the Report Qty or End Activity is either not fully submitted or approved.
In Job tracker when reviewing the Labor Transactions for the operation can you confirm that the Approved Date is populated and what the Status value for each transaction is?

Were material 140 & 150 added after the OP was completed? Odd gaps in your material sequence numbers as well e.g. 10, 20 & 30 missing and also 160 missing.

1 Like

It appears to be approved to me, but let me know if something is missing. Thanks!

Those materials were not added later. Not sure why the gaps, that’s not typical, but I am guessing they made a change to the materials at some point before it was released, as there is nothing in the audit log about deleting a large section of that ASM structure.

I will defer to others on this thread as we’ve only been live a few months and I’ve only seen the one issue in the MES Work Q.

Regards

@Rick_Bird I know that is the official position, but I have had that enabled for a decade and backflush.

My understanding is that with FIFO Layers enabled it prevents backflushing into a negative qty.
What I don’t understand (ignorance) is the reasoning for FIFO Layers being enabled affecting backflushing at all, especially if you aren’t using the FIFO Costing method…

Our experience with FIFO is that it will backflush as long there is stock in hand. FIFO does allow negative quantity.

1 Like

A correction “ FIFO does NOT all negative quantity”

image007.jpg

1 Like

So I think the crux of this thread is we do not have a good way to tell when or why backflushing will work or not. I looked at trace logs and server logs and I can see it happening, but I see the same entries when it relieves the quantities or it silently fails. I was able to get my BF FLOOR location to -127, but I did not go below zero on fifo layers. By the quantities entered in End Activity I should have been -250, but if I entered a quantity too large it just did not backflush anything with no message.

1 Like

Greg, that was going to be the next suggestion… you could do a trace on something that IS working and then trace something that ISN’T working and figure it out that way, but it seems you did that for us.

Weird that there is no way to tell.

I think I will ask at the solutions pavilion if there is a backflush expert. I have read a bunch of KBs that don’t all add up. The warehouse locations not tying to fifo layers is why we went to Lot FIFO over just fifo for everything except the few parts we backflush.

IF you dont mind sharing, please let me know if you here about one. I think the head of our IT department tried to find one before, but they were asking for a name.

A short information, it seems that if related operation in BOM is set to “0”, you can’t backflush Materials

All of our materials are tied to a related operation.

Greg

Please try this activity in test environment

1. Create a part qith Qty bearing as true and in site choose the active site where you want the item to backflush and select the backflush as true
  2. In warehouse tab select the Primary warehouse for the part where consumption should take place and make sure it has on hand quantity.
  3. Create job and add material
  4. Perform time & expense entry.
  5. Check Parttran to check whether backflush has happend

@Mohit My backflush works always. The OPs backflush fails. We are trying to find out how to trace how and when it fails when it fails.

I am wondering if something about the way we are interpreting the hierarchy instructions is incorrect. We read through these instructions and thought we understood how it is supposed to work. We tried to get to #6 in the hierarchy below (I apologize for the novel in advance):

• 1: We arent actually setting up planning contracts on these jobs, but the field populates a number there anyways. Does that matter?

• 2: No inventory is located at the labor resource location

• 3: The Input WH and Bin on the Resource Group do not have any inventory in them

• 4: The Input WH and Bin on the Resources do not have any inventory in them

• 5: The BF WH and Bin the Resources and Groups are empty

• 6-8: Here is where we wanted it to backflush from and am wondering if either our interpretation of the hierarchy is incorrect or something is happening to mess it up.

All parts are located in Main Warehouse and have stock on hand. The From Location that populates in the Job however is Work in Process, which is where the work is taking place. The hierarchy reads like eventually it should look to the main stocking location. Are we misinterpreting it? I have attached an example where we have 335 parts on hand in our main location, but the part did not backflush. The op was completed and a quantity reported.

I always read it that backflushing never deviated from the Warehouse specified on the Job Material (your Work In Process warehouse). However, what I have always seen in my experience is it backflushes no matter if there is inventory or not in the Job Material warehouse, it will just take it negative from the first Bin in Alphanumeric storing. If it’s not backflushing then either FIFO layers or something else is preventing the transaction.

2 Likes

@SPhillips I have no idea if it matters, but the complete checkbox should be auto set on the final quantity and backflush should happen on every quantity. I would test with a quantity of one to see if it was an odd coincidence with the processing.