Barcode Scan Check in

Your right, and that is what I was thinking. Cause the job isn’t created until after proof approval by the customer. Could I just create the UD fields in a table then create the input method. If so, next problem would be to generate the bar code to scan, otherwise manual input.

And yeah, that is partially true. For us, it would take a few years before the data would be obsolete. as I should have things humming along by then. But I’m trying to run everything through Epicor for ease of reporting use. It may just not be reasonably possible.

If it were me, I would start with the low tech solution above. After that, I would build an input screen on a UDtable. They have the base UDTable input screens in epicor already, and the customization isn’t too hard for something like this. You could generate the barcodes with an excel report until you can customize the quote report. Also if you did it this way, I think you could get it down to one barcode if you use a 2d barcode (you would need something like bartender or a 2d barcode generator to make this, as I don’t think epicor can do this on it’s own). You will just have a single field that you can break apart later in the BAQ or dashboard.

1 Like

If I use another bar code software, will Epicor be able to read the bar code, since it is not native to Epicor?

Generating a barcode can be done in several different ways - if you have a software like bartender or labelview, or as @Banderson mentioned, you can do it in excel - all you need is the font and you have to format the data properly - google has the goods there.

Barcodes are standardized so any barcode (mostly) will work - some strange formats may not be supported but there are some highly standard ones like code128 that will work anywhere.

Whether a barcode (format) can be read is a limitation of the scanner hardware, not your software.

2 Likes

Thanks guys for all of your responses. Will definitely give me something to study and work on.

One thing to note, I mention 2d barcodes (basically QR codes) the reason I recommended those is that they can hold a lot more characters that the traditional 1d barcode (like the grocery store) in a smaller space, so if you want to add a lot of info into one simple scan, 2d can give you abilities that 1d does not. 1D is easier to generate though, more widespread, and the scanners are cheaper.

Good to know for the future. I think for now, the bar code will just need to hold the Job/Order number and the Art dept identifier. Then I will have time stamp it so its virtually automatic.