Barcode Scanning

Not on this end. I happen to be in the middle of trying to learn enough C# to be able to re-write the start/end activity screens with grids to make something similar to the work queue but simpler. (by making more assumptions because they are pretty rigid business practices).

Once I get this working, the next step will to be how I can add bar codes into this process. But that might be a while for me.

I managed to parse a barcode with multiple strings of data, and with the help of @josecgomez and @Banderson got the strings to populate fields in the Start Production Activity screen.

I used LaunchFormOptions to pass the barcode data from the MES screen to the Activity screen.

I have noticed some cursory mention about the use of Code-128 here in the thread. Is that only for use in the custom labels that are being used during data entry into Epicor - or - is that something people are also using in the SSRS font layouts for printing out, say, job traveler or pick list barcodes?

you can use whatever barcode font you want as long as the system you print them with, and the barcode readers you use support it. We use QR codes on some stuff around here because they can handle more characters.

Brandon ā€“ more specifically, Iā€™m concerned with how weā€™re printing job travelers and pick lists directly from the SSRS forms out of Epicor. Our very limited scope at this point is to determine if we can send job travelers and pick lists around with the barcodes printed on them, so that when they arrive at, say, the machine shop, an machine operator can pop up MES, scan the job number and op directly from the job traveler and then get right to work. We donā€™t necessarily need Code-128 for that - but - we are thinking about modifying the job travelers to include ā€œ\tā€ tab codes, which would possibly require Code-128 to be integrated directly into the SSRS-generated job traveler.

most barcode scanners can be programmed to add a tab after every scan. That would probably be easier.

Perfect. Never knew that, so I do appreciate leading me in the right direction there. Iā€™ll see if our scanner have that functionality. If not, weā€™ll have to look at upgrading.

Out of curiosity, have you ever heard of anyone integrating Code-128 into existing SSRS forms? I am getting the feeling that we truly donā€™t need Code-128 on the SSRS side of the house. Iā€™m just curious about any custom SSRS forms with Code-128 integrated.

I am starting to understand that the true power here is more with internal label customization using Code-128 or QR ā€“ for data entry, rather than for any out-of-the-box SSRS forms.

I donā€™t know much about SSRS. I tried a bit and found it incredibly frustrating to use, plus paper is out of date the day you print it, so I push hard to use dashboards. We use bartender for all labels and even some report printing. Much easier to work with, and can use lots of barcode types.

For barcode scanners we have some of the symbol ones. The manual comes with a bunch of programming barcodes to set it up. Just scan the ones for the options you want, it beeps and it works. Iā€™m sure others are the same way.

1 Like

Symbol is the scanner manufacturer?

yup. Thatā€™s what it says on the top.

Iā€™ll give 'em a look. Thanks, Brandon.

Hereā€™s the manual for them. If you get to page 45, you can start seeing the programming barcodes. There is a lot of stuff you can set them up to do.

ls2208-product-reference-guide-en-us(1).pdf (3.6 MB)

Terrific. Thanks again for providing the additional information. This helps me out quite a bit.

Just letting everyone know here on this particular threadā€¦ I was able to write my own DLL that calls an open-source QRCode ā€œencoding DLLā€ which formulates a byte-type memory stream in order to build the QRCode into a PNG object. Once both DLLs are defined in the SSRS report, I simply use a picture object in the SSRS report to call the function I need (similar to how everyone is calling web-based QRCode generators). The picture object is merely the placeholder upon which the memory stream writes, essentially ā€œfillingā€ the placeholder with the QRCode.

qrcode-example

The significance of this for me personally, is that I can write as many values into one QRCode block as I need for any specific scanning requirement that my employer demands. In this particular case, youā€™ll notice that (if you use a cellphone-based QR scanner on the left-hand codes), I can put the job number behind a ā€œ[JN]ā€ tag and the operations sequence behind a ā€œ[OP]ā€ tag. This helps your ā€œlistenerā€ code on the data-entry side determine what type of data it is looking at and where to parse it.

Thatā€™s the part Iā€™m working on now - but I just wanted to share that with everyone, especially those who have thought about QRCode on SSRS reports (just know that your conversations here were instrumental in getting me going in the right direction).

@Banderson - I did manage to pick up a very similar hand-held scanner from Zebra (model DS4208) that is reading these codes very well. Thanks very much for your input.

2 Likes

Iā€™m digging this thread as well. Iā€™ve often wondered IF a BPM could query and identify the ID and location on a particular Infragistics field, would be possible to then change focus to that field and insert the payload? Essentially, named targets for data entry, each having an address for a payload.
Also wanted to mention that I am impressed with the Honeywell model 1451g and wireless cousin, which are optical and inexpensive. Out of the box it scans linear codes only but it can be upgraded to 2D with a small licensed firmware patch. They scan barcodes ON SCREEN!!! Traveler PDF in a workflow or any other quality system doc and scan scan scan.
Honeywell user guide:VG1450-UG.pdf (2.6 MB)

Cheers!

BPM canā€™t know anything about client side control (infragistics)
You are mixing up client code and server codeā€¦ Unless Iā€™m misunderstanding what you mean

No, you understand it better than I do. I wasnā€™t considering the client /appserver bpm separation. My misthinking/and dreaming of a wayā€¦

1 Like

Henry,

Forget about the BPM vs Customization thing, your desire is valid! Iā€™d almost think it would be a good addition to the System Monitor. If the barcode included information that would lead to the proper form and field then thatā€™s a far superior method for barcode entry than adding tabs with timing delays.

One option I considered was grabbing one of the UD table UI screens and put a listener on that screen. When a scan was read, the screen would parse the scan, look up the form and field from a table and then insert the data into the proper field(s).

Keep dreaming, itā€™s a good thing.

Mark W.

Mark - you mean something like this =) where the Employee also gets ā€œAudio Feedbackā€ Error vs Success and can just hammer away at scanning boxesā€¦ 2018-05-15_0740

2 Likes

The ā€œalarmā€ certainly got my attention. (BTW, do you program out doors? A lot of Canadian Geese can be heard!)

:bird: