Can I Restart AdminService for OpenEdge Service?

Hi All,

E0.05.702A

My production environment is running well but I noticed that when I try to connect to the Management Console, I cannot get the page to load.
By that, I mean my browser returns the “This page cannot be displayed error”. Additionally, when I run netstat, there is no active or listening connection for port 9090.

My question is, can I just restart the AdminService for OpenEdge service to fix this while not impacting the databases and appservers that are currently running?

JOE ROJAS
Epicor Applications Manager
VENTION MEDICAL + DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT
Advancing Your Innovations For Health

261 Cedar Hill Street | Marlborough, MA 01752
DIRECT: 508.597.1392 x1625 | MOBILE: 774.826.9245
EMAIL: JoRojas@ventionmedical.commailto:JoRojas@ventionmedical.com | WEB: ventionmedical.com http://www.ventionmedical.com/

THINK QUALITY. BE QUALITY. GO BEYOND.

This communication may contain information that is confidential, proprietary or exempt from disclosure, and is intended only for the use of the individual and/or entity it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any other dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return e-mail, and delete this information from your computer.

It’s been a while since I used E9, but my memory is that stopping that service would take down the appservers. Certainly on boot up of an Epicor app server machine, the appservers wouldn’t start coming up until that service was started.

Regards
Mark

I had an issue last week when I had restarted server where it took longer than usual to connect to the admin service. Usually only takes a couple minutes after reboot but this time took about 5 minutes. I am not sure as to why. If you do restart the Admin service it will most certainly kill and restart database.

Bruce

Thanks for the feedback.
I’ve been using the command line to start and stop appservers and the database as needed.
I will probably just wait until this weekend and stop everything via the command line, restart the admin service, and hope that takes care of the issue.

JOE ROJAS
Epicor Applications Manager
VENTION MEDICAL + DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT
DIRECT: 508.597.1392 x1625 | MOBILE: 774.826.9245

Port 9401 is the default port for the production app server
Port 20931 is the port for the Admin Service for Open Edge
Port 9090 is for Open Edge Explorer, which relies on the Admin Service.

If 20931 is running and you should be able to see that from a netstat -an
then you should be able to go into Start->OpenEdge Explorer and run Start OpenEdge Management.

If 20931 is not running then you will need to start the Admin Service, before you can start OpenEdge Management

Restarting the Admin Service will break things.