Can't change UD field on Approved PO

We weren’t overly happy with the functionality of the Promise Date so we added a UD field OrigPromDate_c to the POHeader table. When the PO is confirmed, we want to set the “Promise Date” using our new UD field. However, if I attempt to make the change after the PO is approved and then confirmed, I get this error:

If I disconnect this in my BPM, it works fine:

This is what that field is doing:

OrigPromDate_c being the UD field I added. The DueDate expression is fine (tested via Show Message)

Also, if I change this to do this:

It works fine and does not give the error. PromiseDate being an Epicor field.

I can understand keeping Epicor fields from changing after the PO has been approved, but why will it allow me to change Epicor fields but not UD fields that have been added. Any ideas or thoughts?

@TDray If it is bound to POHeader then they all get treated the same. You will find plenty of threads here about having to unapprove, change and reapprove UD fields on POHeader. This is why I always search before I post as a lot of things already have solutions.

The approve step basically locks the PO except for a few fields such as the confirmed field. you simply need to unapprove, change the values, and then reapprove. Note that as long as you dont exceed the previously approved value, it will not need to go back to any upper approvers.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers. Had not occurred to me that a UD field I added would be locked by Epicor. Had added the field in order to get around some of the locking down that Epicor does.

Unfortunately my searches on these forums proved fruitless. Occasionally my searching doesn’t work as well as others it seems. I do spend a lot of time on here reading as I started with Epicor just over a year ago and quickly made these forums a habit where I spend the first few minutes of my workday, just after lunch, and then right before leaving for the day. There’s a ton of useful information available if you can get around those who are snarky and make others not want to post questions.

One more thing to try, but it’s a pain… utilize a UD table that you can link to the POHeader table via the KeyX fields. Although at first glance it might seem like a complete overkill, you can also use that same UD table for “small” things linked to other tables using different key structures.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Ernie. Something I might try in the future next time I’m messing with this table again.

What I ended up doing was using the Epicor Promise Date on the header and a UD field on the PORel table.

When the PO is confirmed, I set the promise dates to the due dates and don’t allow them to change after that. Had to use the Epicor built in for the Header and the UD on the PORel. Any other combination didn’t work as I intended them to. Thanks again for the response.

You can change PO Status before change the “Promise Date”.
After change “Promise Date” and change Status back .
I think it will like this PO Detail Comment Text - Approved PO's - #7 by danbedwards

1 Like