Changing Field Length on Customization if DB Allows it

Hello,
Sorry to piggy-back this old question. I was searching for solution to my problem and I just thought this question is similar with mine.

There is Reference field on the Bank Adjustment Entry screen. Only 30 characters are allowed to be entered there.

However, the field size of TranRef in the database is actually nvarchar(50):

We would like to increase the Reference field size on the Bank Adjustment Entry screen to allow up to 50 characters. Is there a way to increase the size of that field on the screen other than customization or using UD?

Thank you.

Extended Property Maintenance you can change the format thre x(50)

Hi @josecgomez
Thank you for your reply.
I checked the Extended Property Maintenance and it shows x(50). However the textbox properties still shows x(30) on the Format.

Is there any table that stores/controls the textbox size?
Thank you.

No, try changing the extended property on the Form itself.

You would need to change the field in the form as a customization most likely.

Set the format here to your field.

1 Like

How do I change the extended property on the Form?
I’m sorry, I just started learning how to customize Epicor recently.

Thank you.

See above.

@josecgomez
Please disregard my last post. You’re faster than me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you so much. It works!

1 Like

Hi @josecgomez,
I just noticed that Field Help still shows Format x(30) even though the field now can accept characters up to 50. Is there any function I need to run to update the Field Help display to show x(50)?
Thank you.

You didn’t change anything on the database you just updated the extended property in this form. There’s nothing for you to do.

1 Like

Where is the Field help getting the x(30) value from?

@ckrusen,
From Ice.ZDataField table.

1 Like

Hello,
the change worked on my testing environment but when I did the same thing to live, it gave me this:

Is there a location where I can check the Validation rule?

Hello josecgomez,

We did the setting as you suggested. We have updated extended property format to x(50) then restarted epicor, recycle epicor app pool, regenerated data model but still we are getting same message as mention below. Please suggest if anything we are missing in our steps.
Thanks in advance…

Recycle after you regenerate.

done the same, but still not working

Hello,
I am having the same error as this, do you still remember how you fixed this one? Thanks.

Is there a definitive answer about whether we can change the field length of native fields? I’d love to do the same with the Reference field on OrderDtl (only x(10)). The marked Solution in this thread doesn’t actually seem to have worked.