Close Sales Order without Shipping Inventory or Job

Debbie, it sounds like you could just have one line (for your job that would ship), and use the Advanced Billing feature in place of having billing-only lines. When it ships, the invoice will deduct the total Advanced Billing value.

If you rather keep separate lines for billing purposes, you’ll have to use the Non-QTY Bearing parts to allows those lines to “ship.” You have to process a Customer Shipment to close out the SO lines.

Thanks I read on another post that if Advanced Billing is done for a sales order before the job is created, it does not bring in the line quantity from the SO. I will suggest these two options and we can test them out.

You’ve come to the right place :). I’m one of the top Project Management consultants in Epicor. I have many Project module customers with this very exact same billing scenario. I’ll tell you below how I always handle this, and if you’d like to connect with a current customer of mine on how they are doing this… just let me know and Ill connect you with them.

The scenario has one line on the Sales Order. The Orderline part is a Part on the Fly manufactured assembly which is tied to a shipping manufactured Job.
The Project is set up with an Engineering Phase that has two Milestone/ Advanced Billings called “Design Engineering” and “Drawing Approval”. Both of these Milestones are tied to the Sales Order shipping line and both are 15% Advanced Billing Milestones.
So here is how the actual scenario plays out:

• When the “Design Engineering” Phase is marked as complete by the Design Engineer the Milestone billing is triggered and Finance generates an Advanced Milestone Billing Invoice that is 15% of the Sales Order Line price.
  • Next when the customer approves the engineered drawings, a second Milestone Billing event is triggered and Finance generates another Advanced Billing Milestone that is also 15% of that same Sales Order line. This leaves 70% of the Sales Order remaining to be billed.
  • Several months later when the Manufactured Job is completed and ready to ship, they ship the Job which triggers the final shipping Invoice for Finance. The remaining 70% is Invoiced as a Shipping Invoice type and closes out the Sales Order line.

Note a couple of things here: This scenario assumes that the Engineering design charges are NOT charged separate from the shipping line. They are used as triggering milestone billing events. IF you want to charge a separate Engineering charge then you could add that as a Misc line charge or as a second line on the Sales Order with a Non-Qty bearing part called “Engineering”. This would be on top of the shipping line amount.
I also often have customers that will use “Purchasing” as a milestone billing event. You will see a milestone something like “Bill 30% when material ordered”.

Jason

1 Like

Jason - Thanks for your response. We are not currently using Project Management.