Close Sales Order without Shipping Inventory or Job

Does anyone know how to close or ship a sales order without shipping inventory or a job? We have order lines for the purpose of billing only with no job or inventory items associated. If I close the line via Order Entry -> Actions, it voids it. Which makes sense! But I need it to be flexible enough to close without voiding. Epicor Support said I would need a customization, so I wanted to see if anyone on here has done that. Or if there’s another way around it?

1 Like

Can you not just close it from the Actions Menu

If you close it from Actions, it voids the line and reduces the order amount (which I don’t want).

2 Likes

Closing just the line, keeps the value

Not in my experience. Is there a setting you can change for that? I don’t see anything in Company Config.

Before closing line (not order): image

After closing line: image

Sorry, your quite right, let me think

Can you give a bit more detail, to the process and the requirements

@jnbadger - We have the same exact issue. Many line items are non-tangible (Installation, Proj Mngmnt, Test Report, etc …)

And like you said, these never ship, so the line stays open and often appears as unfulfilled demand.

We too thought we could just close out those liines, but that caused issues like you saw. And I think it prevented doing Misc Invoices that tied to the Order line.

I’ll be following this closely

1 Like

@AndyGHA We have non-tangible lines on sales order to reflect project contracts, for example (like @ckrusen also described). Since these lines don’t have jobs associated (and we don’t do inventory), we will have to manually close the sales orders somehow. We’ve been keeping them open, but I will need to clean them up eventually :slight_smile:

The best thing would be if Epicor had two options: close and void. Or if there was the option to ship a sales order line without attaching to a job or inventory, that would fix the issue.

I’ve thought about a BPM that sets the line as closed (like if it was shipped) when the line is fully invoiced.

But most of our orders aren’t really for an exact set of materials and charges. For example, we may have a line for “Installation” that is for a “qty” of 1, with an estimated cost (based on time and unit cost). But it might not take the hole time, and we only bill for 90% of that line total. Which wouldn’t close the line.

We make purchased parts in the part master and mark them as non-qty bearing. This allows us to “ship” them and then invoice without doing a job or having any inventory on that part

4 Likes

Is it possible to use Misc. Charges for such activities.

Vinay Kamboj

1 Like

I see. That’s an interesting solution though.

Most of the time I understand Epicor’s development logic, but on this one I don’t get it. Lol! Seems like an option to close and a separate option to void would have made more sense! Especially since they let you do miscellaneous invoices to sales orders.

Interesting! Does that not end up creating negative amounts for those parts? Since you did not purchase them.

This solution would be very cumbersome for us because almost every line on the sales order is totally unique. But I guess we could create one generic part and then edit the description every time.

1 Like

Misc Charges only pull into an Invoice when its a Shipment type. And we might need to bill without shipping anything.

And while you can manually add a Misc Charge to a Misc Invoice line, you need a line item to add it to.

@ckrusen @Vinaykamboj Another downside is that Miscellaneous Charges require GL Control. If you use product group revenue recognition, for example, the misc. charge won’t go to the correct revenue account :disappointed:

1 Like

Does not create a negative!

1 Like

Actually, the one benefit of Misc Charges is they can be negative.

We use an Order Head Mic Charge for an “order wide” discount (discount not tied to a specific item). And the GLC allows us to direct that “revenue” to a specific account. Its a rare thing, so it kind of works. But not something we’d want to do for 3 - 5 lines of every order.

Good point. We actually use misc. charge to get negative amounts too, for deductive change orders.

Have you tried what @lgraham mentioned? I am going to try it in our test database.

If you are adding non qty bearing parts to an order and invoicing the order without shipping, why not write a bpm to close the lines after they are invoiced?

1 Like