Close Sales Order without Shipping Inventory or Job

Yes this is very simple to set up. Often times I have customer that sale intangible items like Engineering Services. What we do is create a PartNumber called “EngineeringServices” and the key, is to make it NON-QTY Bearing.
When you add a Non-Qty Bearing Part Record to a Sales Order you CAN actually ship that order line in Customer Shipment Entry and you do not require a job, nor do you require Inventory. You just have to make sure the part number is non-qty bearing in both the Part and PartPlant record.

Jason Campbell

How do you keep it from creating PO suggestions? Or do you just ignore them?

This is the correct answer! A Non-Qty bearing part number does not impact inventory. There is no PO to put it into stock. Its a phantom shipment that has zero inventory bearing… hence the “Non-Qty” bearing.

Remove the PO Suggestion and MRP flags on the part plant record.

2 Likes

You would want to ship the Non-Qty bearing lines to generate the Invoice. This eliminates the need to create customizations and works within the standard functionality of Epicor.

i fully agree, thought they were trying to skip the shipment process.

I wouldn’t recommend skipping it. I like the ability to tag a ProductGroup with a specific GL to drive the revenue to on Non-Qty Bearing parts. And plus I get a standard GetShipments Invoice.
I have created a customization several times in the past for customers where a custom Ship Button on the Order Detail tab in Order Entry kicked off a BPM workflow that created a packingslip, populated the Ship table records, and completed the shipment… all from the click of one button on the sales order.
I would not normally recommend that unless the customer just really wanted it.

Thank you so much, @JasonCampbell and @lgraham !!! Truly appreciate the help. Now I’m wondering why Epicor support wasn’t able to give me that answer?? They said it would have to be a customization.

@ckrusen for reference, I just tested out the steps Jason explained, from order to invoice. And it works!

2 Likes

So we have a solution on how to set up the order to make this work. But does anyone know how I can close (without voiding) current open orders that were set up using “part on the fly”?
@JasonCampbell @ckrusen @lgraham @AndyGHA @Vinaykamboj

This is the solution. However I unmarked it for now just to keep the thread open in case someone can help me with closing orders that have already been set up the “wrong” way :slight_smile:

That may be a little bit trickier. You cannot close the Order or the Line without Epicor throwing that line into “Void” status that I can think of.
You could create those POF parts as Non-Qty bearing in Part Entry and then go through the same shipping process I described earlier. You would need to weigh the pro’s and con’s of generating Shipment Invoices for those order lines.

IF you decide to go with converting those POF lines into real part numbers, you want to review a hidden flag on the OrderDetail table. You can see it in OrderEntry~Lines~List view. That field is called “PartExists”. It’s an indicator at the Sales Order if a Part has a Part table record.
Initially that flag is unchecked when a POF is added to a sales order line. After you create the Part record in Part Entry and refresh the sales order, this box should now be flagged/checked as TRUE. Once you have that confirmation you can ship the Non-Qty bearing line.

1 Like

Other than the effort to do it, would there be any caveats to making jobs for those POTF parts - with no materials or ops - and shipping against the job?

Then you could just make shipment invoices.

And this could be used for already invoiced lines, just make them for $0. Add a note that the shipment and invoice were just to close out the line.

1 Like

Thank you, @ckrusen and @JasonCampbell !! Not sure which solution i’ll go with yet… I’ll probably go with whichever seems faster after evaluating what we have open. Thanks! :slight_smile:

FYI Epicor Support wrote a Knowledge article on this after my case, “KB0085180 - Ship Using Non Quantity Bearing Parts.”

1 Like

Is it possible to use Misc. Charges for such activities.

Vinay Kamboj

100x this. Fake line items are a bane of my existence and I actually added BPM’s to block people from adding them. Fake items are just a really lousy thing to do when you have this built-in option on the next tab.

Assuming You have at least one real line item… Because Misc Charges have to be tied to a line item on AR invoices.

We skip the order entirely and just notify accounting to create a miscellaneous invoice with one line, (leave part blank) qty 0 with a misc charge on that line for the service. Might not work for all use cases but after lots of aggravation seems to be the simplest.

Is the voiding of a new a new feature in Epicor. Just wondering when it was introduced?

This has been the case at least since 10.1.600.

1 Like

Jason,
I am researching the best way to handle a similar scenario and found this post. Below is our scenario. Is there a better way? Would you recommend the NON-QTY Bearing or in other posts I found use of Advanced Billing and Pro-forma Invoice?
Thanks,
Debbie

We have lines on a sales order for products that we are going to be shipping to the customer. However, we need to split out these lines. There will be a separate line on the sales order that is related to the shipped product but is only an engineering or manufacturing deliverable that is a “billing only” situation as we’ve completed a milestone. We want to have a line for that milestone we’ve achieved so we can invoice the customer but then also keep a line open for shipping the actual product.

The lines will be linked to the same job. However, we want to make sure that we aren’t messing up anything with the job and we are using the system correctly. In cases like this in the past, we have linked the billing only line to the same job but didn’t give it an outstanding job quantity. The system allows you to invoice the line on the job, and it seems like it doesn’t mess up anything with production quantities.

In the end, we only have one product that is shipping but we have one or more lines linked to the job that are just billing only lines for milestone plans (with 0 job quantity) and then another line that has an outstanding job quantity to reflect the production unit.