CNC Nest and get multiple parts as output

Im looking for ideas on the best way reduce the number of jobs that have to be completed for a CNC machine to run a nesting program making 2-9 different parts per 1 sheet of raw material (depending on the program) and the output is multiple parts. i dont want to create 9 different jobs every time i use 1 sheet of raw material.

Im wondering how others do this?

Are these always inventoried parts?

And how dynamic does it have to be? Will the same parts (and their qty’s per sheet) vary from job to job?

they are currently but we dont build to min on hand so i cant do it as a kanban job with co-parts on the method.
we are open to having them as job-job or as sub assemblies.

as of now it will not be a dynamic nest. so nest 1 makes parts x , y, z nest 2 makes xx,yy,

Ideally the part trans would be one STK-MTL for the sheet(s), and 9 MFG-STK for the 9 parts made.

Kind of hackey, but you could:

1. Make a phantom part for the nested parts.
  2. Make a job for that part (production qty is 1 per # of sheets).
  3. Receive that part into stock
  4. Do Qty Adj’s to reduce the phantom part, and increase the child parts made.

The Qty Adj of the Phantom will make a Variance transaction. The Qty Adj for the other parts will make one with opposite sign.

This kind of falls apart as the costing can be handled in lots of different ways.

i just watched a video about job batching that might get me what we want.
we definitely dont want to do qnty adjustments as that causes issues with quality tracking and FAA audits. .

1 Like

Care to share a link to the video?

1 Like

i tested the functionality and it might work. it requires the resources to be the same and the jobs to be firm.
So this might work.
Im still looking for other ideas and see all the options for nesting in epicor.

Yes I’m necroposting… but didn’t want to lose the juicy brains already in this thread.

Has anyone found or does anyone know the “right” way for this? We’re trying to get our labour recording more consistent and right now, a CNC machine running a sheet with 9 different parts gets 9 different jobs, and the operator is running up labour on all of them simultaneously. Production says “that’s what we’ve always done” but there’s got to be a better way.

Any thoughts?

funny that you just posted this, I was just on a call today talking about nesting with our ME group. We still have not found an ideal way to do this so I am looking for ideas.

1 Like

Anyone get any further on this? There’s an idea in our shop to make a part supermarket with our top-20 plywood sizes, and have them replenished based on the next day’s shipments, cutting using Opticutter-generated nests. It could save us a huge amount of plywood but I really can’t figure out an Epicor way of doing this.

I could have them use DMT to create quick jobs for all the child parts, but then the labor would be all over the map.

@SteveFossey co-parts won’t fit your needs? It sounds like you might need something dynamic where co-parts is more static

yeah, exactly. it’s likely that a given product mix will never exactly reoccur.

I’m now thinking that we could use production kanbans and the kanban monitor to output a cut list, and then use kanban receipt in conjunction with a quick search to fill the kanbans; but then we lose labor visibility. On the other hand, our COGS is 90% material and so standard times might be good enough.

We switched to using report qty on our lasers. Saves the step of clocking into 9 jobs and out of 9 jobs. Our Nesting software and Lasers do a much better job at keeping track of labor hours than an employee could by clocking in & out.

Planning is most of our issue. We import a BAQ into our nesting software of released laser jobs that haven’t had credit taken, MRP and Planning can’t possibly know how parts are going to fit together, so then we have to intervene and change job quantities, and material usage. I made a python script a while back that took the nest report file, parsed it, and made the changes through the REST api, but still haven’t implemented it yet due to time constraints.

That sounds interesting - any chance you can share a bit more of the “how”?

So far we haven’t been able to find a way to do this, although as @jkane says, maybe co-parts would help.

I can’t actually picture what you’re describing.

It is a button inside of MES, it does require the “override job” checkbox in the employee file to be marked, in order to use the feature without starting a production activity.

interesting, thanks very much!

I just figured this out. You need to have advanced production to be able to do. At least that is all I think you need.

If you have a bunch of jobs with the same operation, pull them up in the Resource Scheduling Board. Go to the Batch card and select all of the operations you want to group together and batch them BACKWARDS. The assumption is that they are all op 10. Epicor will create a new job and when you log out you are prompted to enter the quantities in the Co-Parts section.