Conversion from 9 to 10 but using Crystal Reports to make conversion go faster

My Question is how much of an issue is to to convert an existing crystal report?
Specifically if the BAQ converts with no issues, what has to be done in the current crystal form?

Details:
Going from progress db in version 9.05 to 10 in the cloud.
I have 300 reports and want to get up and going fast while I convert everything to SSRS.
I don’t want to get blind sided by under estimating the work.

There is no conversion. It is starting over. If it was a Epicor CR to your version then that will be Epicor SSRS to your SSRS. We had about as many as you and converted the biggest ones and left the rest as CR. We are working thru them as we go. We did one BAQ report and as a simple report it was ok, but I am now moving to using an RDD like in the post below. Harder to start, but much more power and flexibility.

I made my users claim their reports and any that claimed them all, I waited for them to test and then did the ones they were “missing”. We had come from another system and a lot of them were trying to do things the old way.

Sorry, I had a bad choice of words when I go from Crystal to SSRS I understand it’s a full rewrite.
I was concerned with my BAQ which will be done in the conversion and pointed to my current Crystal Form.

@Patrick If a BAQ has calculated field or uses first or last statement, you may need to re-work BAQ. Otherwise, BAQ Reports will work when you copy the existing forms to Reports folder in E10. I am in the same boat as you just converted 600+ BPMs.

Most of my Upgraded E10 clients that started in V8/E9 were able to keep most Crystal Reports intact. Some reqiured minor fixes and only a handful required more effort. Those I moved to SSRS instead of fixing them. I have been moving some of the BAQ Reports to dashboards anyway and the customer is even happier.
The only caution would be that you don’t keep the Crystal forever. Spend the time to review the report and find out if it is still needed, then rewrite it in the best tool available now.

What @Arul and @Jason_Woods said is accurate. Small tweaks with dates needing casting. Small sub queries needed for sums, but not bad.

1 Like

And don’t forget that CR runtime isn’t automatically deployed to the client in E10. Any new client installs may need you to manually install the CR runtime. And even if you’re appserver is 64 bit, you probably need to install the 32 bit CR runtime

2 Likes

Thanks for all the reply’s.
I have some CR that have a lot of formatting and additional calculations. It will be nice if I can continue in CR to get the conversion done faster. An yes I’m going to move away from CR but at least now it will be after our go live date at my pace and will include other improvements. Your comments have calmed my nerves. Thx

Not to unclam your nerves, but be forewarned that are many things that are easily done in CR, that are very hard (or impossible) to do in SSRS. Like:

• The popular “3 variable trick” in CR.
  • No Report Header or Footer
  • There is page headers and footers, but the ability to suppress them is practically useless.
  • And several things I could do in CR, now require things done to the dataset (ie the BAQ or RDD), before being sent to SSRS.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I used the 3 variable trick many times and have some reports with a crazy amount of formatting so our strategy of using keeping crystal to go live quicker feels like a good concept. Hopefully they will keep it around long enough for me to rewrite with SSRS.

1 Like

I like option: “Don’t make it a report”

I’ve been trying to only use the standard reports and only customize forms. All others requests get dashboards, EDD, or some other analytic tool. (<- only includes Excel when the analytic tool does the export. :wink: )

Reports remind me of an old Dilbert cartoon. His boss asks him to “Print a copy of the Internet and put it on my desk please.”

I always wrestled with the metaphysics of “print a copy” and “fax me a copy”… Shouldn’t I be “printing the original, to make you a copy”?

And “faxing you a copy” requires me to first make a copy (i.e. duplicate the original), and then use that copy as the source in the fax machine.

And don’t get me started about “emailing you a copy” … :wink:

to blow your mind, read up on “The Ship of Theseus Paradox”

1 Like