Customer Shipping Entry 'Shipped' Checkbox

I have a question about the ‘Shipped’ check box in the Customer Shipment Entry.

When someone in our shipping department hits that button during a shipment it will subtract qty of shipment from packing job, and mark complete if it ships complete.

We have started using a new shipment software that communicates with our Epicor server via ODBC.
When a shipment is processed in the software it will update ‘ShipHead.ReadyToInvoice’ as ‘TRUE’. (Using the Field Help tool, I saw the tic box was mapped to that location).

In the Customer Shipment Entry I will see the tic box as checked after we ship in the shipping software. This box showing as checked does not do everything that MANUALLY checking the box will do, such as updating packing job as having been shipped/completed.

If I uncheck and recheck the ‘Shipped’ tick box manually (after the software has ticked it), it does update the information. Making me thing there is something else that manually ticking the box does.

Is there something else that ticking the box MANUALLY updates? Like another column in the ShipHead table, or another table all together?

Perform a trace to see what happens and then you will need to replicate it.

2 Likes

ODBC directly to database to update information is a strict No. It will probably void Epicor Warranty. Everything should be done through BOs or REST if you do not want to use the native Epicor screen.

Other users on this forum who are experts in this area will confirm this.

3 Likes

What @jkane said. One pattern you will see over and over again in Epicor is that it doesn’t just change field X, it calls some BO method named ChangeX or OnChangeX. The trick to the trace log is figuring out what is actually essential and what is just the UI setting up its views.

2 Likes

Thanks I did have a feeling it was doing more. In the trace I do see “Erp.BO.CustShipDataSet”.

One of the things Checking and unchecking the Shipped checkbox is it hits the PartTran table and makes an entry. Check on → Stk-Cus positive number, Check off → Stk-Cus negative number. If you have Serial tracked items, I assume it hits that too. It also drives out CFO nuts… we shiped it, we didnt ship it… do they owe us money ???

Dean

@rhys There are a lot of threads here about setting shipped using rest and even then it is a picky transaction to pull off. Epicor is validating quantities and UOMs from the job back to the sales order if you are shipping direct.

I would stop that ODBC process quickly.

1 Like

WOW>… ODBC or any direct editing of any field is a BIG No-No… The system doesn’t behave nicely in many cases, and this is one of them. This particular field does LOTS of stuff… it forces the actual inventory transactions, it updates the sales order, it captures the cost of the shipment, it makes the shipment “ready for invoicing”. When you click it in the interface, it calls a business object that initiates all the activities.
ODBC should NEVER be used to update any table in Epicor / Kinetic.

4 Likes

A nice thread from a bit ago about the pitfalls of going direct to the database, in any webapp, let alone Epicor.

Direct access to Microsoft SQL Database? - ERP 10 - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)