Cycle Counting By Bin

The cycle count program fundamentally looks PartBin (O/H exists + or -) and (if you want to count zero O/H parts either manually selected or autoselected for your included whses) PartTran.

You cannot force it to only generate a count group for a specific range of bins in your included whe(s).

If you NEVER have had any parts ever having been in multiple bins in the whse, your approach can work. If not true, you are going to get tags to count your chosen parts that may not be in your desired range of bins (from past activity thru those old perhaps defunct bins).

Are you maintaining PartBinInfo records? If so, that would give you (single) reliable way to search for your desired bin range parts (but you are still subject to the potential problem above).

Rob

--- Original Message ---
Sent:Tue 7/6/10 9:37 am
To:vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subj:[Vantage] Cycle Counting By Bin

Our parent company wants us to Cycle Count a specific way. I have a few idea's of how to do it, but I just wanted to make sure someone else doesn't have a better idea. Here it is:

1. Our Bin's are named based on their location, so B4C5 is Asile B, Section 4, Shelf C, Bin 5.
2. Our parent company want us to run daily cycle counts, one section per day, so today we'll count B4, tomorrow B5, etc.
3. The cycle count program (in 8.03.409a) will only allow one part number selection per search. But multiples can be added in mass with "Paste Insert" context menu options.
4. Parts in a section may have an on hand, and may not (but will have a primary bin designated), but we need to have count tags for EITHER situation, On Hand (positive or negative) OR if a Primary Bin is defined.
5. The Cycle Count program will not permit a part number to be in the list of part twice.

If I were running cycle counts, I could easily manage this, but the user that is running the cycle counts is not very good at following long processes. I thought I could write a BAQ that would give me this data (listing the part number only ONCE), but I have not been sucessful yet, as the BAQ wants to return a row for each unique match (one for On Hand Bin and one for Primary Bin). I have tried many things, (first or last instead of each; Outer Join, etc).
Worst case, I think I can write two BAQ's, one to show all On Hand part numbers where the Bin <> the Primary Bin and another to show all part numbers primary bins. Then I would create a dashboard using both of these BAQ's with an Advanced search for both, where the user can specify which section they need to count. Then I could add this to the Cycle Count program.

Thoughts?
Our parent company wants us to Cycle Count a specific way. I have a few idea's of how to do it, but I just wanted to make sure someone else doesn't have a better idea. Here it is:

1. Our Bin's are named based on their location, so B4C5 is Asile B, Section 4, Shelf C, Bin 5.
2. Our parent company want us to run daily cycle counts, one section per day, so today we'll count B4, tomorrow B5, etc.
3. The cycle count program (in 8.03.409a) will only allow one part number selection per search. But multiples can be added in mass with "Paste Insert" context menu options.
4. Parts in a section may have an on hand, and may not (but will have a primary bin designated), but we need to have count tags for EITHER situation, On Hand (positive or negative) OR if a Primary Bin is defined.
5. The Cycle Count program will not permit a part number to be in the list of part twice.

If I were running cycle counts, I could easily manage this, but the user that is running the cycle counts is not very good at following long processes. I thought I could write a BAQ that would give me this data (listing the part number only ONCE), but I have not been sucessful yet, as the BAQ wants to return a row for each unique match (one for On Hand Bin and one for Primary Bin). I have tried many things, (first or last instead of each; Outer Join, etc).
Worst case, I think I can write two BAQ's, one to show all On Hand part numbers where the Bin <> the Primary Bin and another to show all part numbers primary bins. Then I would create a dashboard using both of these BAQ's with an Advanced search for both, where the user can specify which section they need to count. Then I could add this to the Cycle Count program.

Thoughts?
We have a customization that performs cycle count by bin.

Contact me off line if you would like to discuss.

Thank You...

Stephen Findley

IT Director

281-353-1191 x273 Office

713-419-4084 Cell

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of that_guyy
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 8:32 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Cycle Counting By Bin

Our parent company wants us to Cycle Count a specific way. I have a few
idea's of how to do it, but I just wanted to make sure someone else
doesn't have a better idea. Here it is:

1. Our Bin's are named based on their location, so B4C5 is Asile B,
Section 4, Shelf C, Bin 5.
2. Our parent company want us to run daily cycle counts, one section per
day, so today we'll count B4, tomorrow B5, etc.
3. The cycle count program (in 8.03.409a) will only allow one part
number selection per search. But multiples can be added in mass with
"Paste Insert" context menu options.
4. Parts in a section may have an on hand, and may not (but will have a
primary bin designated), but we need to have count tags for EITHER
situation, On Hand (positive or negative) OR if a Primary Bin is
defined.
5. The Cycle Count program will not permit a part number to be in the
list of part twice.

If I were running cycle counts, I could easily manage this, but the user
that is running the cycle counts is not very good at following long
processes. I thought I could write a BAQ that would give me this data