Debug an Epicor Process?

I know we can debug customizations in Visual Studio, but what about a process? I have an issue where a standard Epicor process (AP Process Payments in this case) is throwing a generic Object Reference error and nothing is standing out to me as the culprit. Tracking this down would be soooo much easier if I could put a breakpoint on the method and step through until the error occurs.

Do you have the Epicor SDk? Without it… it’s going to be tough

Nope…

Any options short of decompiling to a project and substituting my own dll (in a test environment, of course!) with additional logging?

Yes sir, but that’s head and shoulders above what we can do for ya here. It requires a lot more than a forum post.
I’d start with RedGate Reflector and work your way up.
You’ll probably have to make use of a remote debugger, you may way better off opening a ticket with Epicor. Or asking for help regarding the specific issue.

1 Like

I’m with Jose, this is a beast of a task. It’s definitely easiest to start by decompiling the offending DLL and poking around. Have a good look at the stack trace as well, it will give you clues on where to start.

1 Like

That’s kinda what I thought but figured it was worth asking in case there was an easy way to hook in that I had missed.

Reflector is a fantastic tool! I just haven’t gotten around to requesting it because it wasn’t mission critical before now. Guess it’s time to go make the use case.

Always good advice - thanks, @Chris_Conn. That’s narrowed it down to the dll and method for me already.

1 Like