Does 10.2.100 support Visual Studio 2017 for debugging?

Wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not it’s compatible.
It looked like we’d be good to go after we upgraded but since I’ve uninstalled 2015 and only have 2017 on my machine I’ve lost the ability to debug.
Can’t find anything on EpicWeb to confirm or deny. Figured I’d check with the community to see if anyone else has used it before I start barking up the support tree.

I have not fully tested all the debug scenarios but it does work for customization debugging

1 Like

I have not thought of that part of our upcomming upgrade… We are currently on VS 2010. Would there be any issues to work with the new version of Epicor I wonder as well…? (trying to gather any info in order to support for a VS upgrade to mngt !! :wink: ) but I have a feeling there isn’t one… apart better interface and features…

Thanks Dan. I figured there was a chance it was an issue with my install.
I’m going to take a closer look at that.

Pierre, we’ve had no issues up to 2015. We use it as an excuse to keep the team on the latest version of VS. Generally the new releases it compatible with the latest VS release at the time. You do get some better debugging features starting with 2015 but YMMV.

Hi Erik,

My colleague just got a new computer, installed the 2017 VS and the check box in Epicor to Debug is greyed out. Have you figured out how to make it work?

Thanks

Pierre

I have not used it with VS 2017 but in the past the only way to get it to work is to patch the VisualStudioDebugHelper.dll which is modifying the binary code, but if its strongly signed and you don’t have the .snk file to re-sign it, it wont work – or request an updated one from Epicor Support, if they even have one.

What that DLL does is basically look for certain COM Objects to communicate with and in the past they have just hardcoded the COM Objects, now they added a few to the list, but probably not VS 17 yet.

Right @josecgomez =)

Maybe 10.2.200 has VS 2017 ? support

2 Likes

Assuming you meant 10.2.100 it does work just fine with VS 2017

@Hogardy - what version of Epicor are you using?

1 Like

oops forgot to specify…
but just got our new server to install 10.2 shortly …

I might be proven wrong, but I think since 10.1 they made some nice changes to enhance VS version support. With 10.0 I think you are out of luck as far as 2017. Once you do get to 10.2 you will have no problems and that I am confident in :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Hogardy Sorry, for the late response. Burning up a little vacation time.

I’ve been back and forth with support on this. Currently the latest version that supports VS 2017 is 10.2.200.
I haven’t been able to confirm that since we’re still on 100. Not planning on going to 200 for at least another month or so.
They have improved the support. As long as you’re staying up to date on the versions you can use whatever the latest version of VS is at the time. For whatever reason it was supposed to support VS 2017 in 10.2.100 but they ran into issues and pulled the support until 200.

I have had no problems in 10.2.100 with VS 2017. What kind of issues are you having that you went back and forth with support on?

@danbedwards what version of VS are you running? I was told explicitly that it wasn’t supported in .100
All it is is that if you have VS 2017 as your only version installed the debug option is greyed out.
It was a little odd because VS2017 is referenced in the dll that Kaso mentions.

Here is VS 2017 working with 10.2.100 as I step through a debug. I wonder what “supported” means. Could be perhaps some feature is not working, etc. I have this installed in at least 3 VMs for debugging and have not ran into an issue yet.

Well damn.
I’m running VS 2017 professional. A couple releases behind yours, 15.6.4
We’re on 10.2.100.14 though I expect that wouldn’t make a difference.

Is there any chance you could provide a list of installed features? Wondering if I missed a component on install.

edit: Pretty sure “supported” just means they have a document with that version listed. Nobody I talked to could give me much beyond “it’s not listed as supported in our KB”

Here you go

Visual F# Tools 10.1 for F# 4.1 00369-60000-00001-AA807
Microsoft Visual F# Tools 10.1 for F# 4.1
C# Tools 2.7.0-beta3-62715-05. Commit Hash: db02128e6e3c4bdfc93e6ec425ac9162b4d4fe80
Common Azure Tools 1.10
JavaScript Language Service 2.0
JavaScript Language Service
Microsoft JVM Debugger 1.0
Microsoft MI-Based Debugger 1.0
NuGet Package Manager 4.6.0
ProjectServicesPackage Extension 1.0
ProjectServicesPackage Visual Studio Extension Detailed Info
Visual Basic Tools 2.7.0-beta3-62715-05. Commit Hash: db02128e6e3c4bdfc93e6ec425ac9162b4d4fe80
Visual Studio Code Debug Adapter Host Package 1.0

Thanks Dan. I was hoping that we might be missing something but we have all the same products installed.

I’m at a loss at this point.

I have installed Visual Studio 2017 and our version of Epicor is 10.2.2, debuging BPM by attaching to the w3wp process is ok.

But the Customization debug still grey out. Search the Answerbook and nothing there.

I guess 2017 is not in the list inside the Customization User Guide.

After I installed Visual Studio 2015, the Debug in Visual Studio is now enable. Therefore, Version 10.2.200.4 will allow debug in VS2015, not VS2017.

My coleague has a fresh install W10, installed VS2017 professionnal, and running Epicor 10.2.200 the debugger checkbox is greyed out.

On my machine, I have also installed VS2017 but have 2010 as well, and my checkbox was available… but it is debugging using 2010, not 2017… I fear that removing 2010 will make that debug checkbox greyed as well…

We proceeded with the install only the .Net desktop development c# (the top left selection) . Did not select any other option. I wander if we needed to ? like we are missing something…

We have a case opened with Epicor and all was provided is a KB article ( KB0036097) indicating VS 2017 Community was going to be valid with 10.2.200. So do we understand that only the community version will be valid?

Pierre

We just updated to 10.2.300.6 and cannot debug customizations with VS 17 (checkbox is not grayed out). Get the below error, anyone know how to fix? I also have VS 15 installed, but Epicor insists on launching VS 17 which doesn’t work. :frowning:

Application Error

Error Detail

Message: Not implemented (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004001 (E_NOTIMPL))
Program: VisualStudioDebugHelper.dll
Method: Open

Client Stack Trace

at EnvDTE.ProjectItem.Open(String ViewKind)
at Ice.Lib.Customization.CustomizationDebugHelper.FilteredDebugInto(Int32 processId, String fileName, Int32 line, Int32 character)
at Ice.Lib.Customization.CustomizationDebugHelper.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.b__0()
at Ice.Lib.Customization.OleMessageFilter.DoInFilter[TResult](Func`1 action)
at Ice.Lib.Customization.CustomizationDebugHelper.DebugInto(Int32 processId, String fileName, Int32 line, Int32 character)
at Ice.Lib.Customization.CustomScriptManager.DebugIntoCustomCode(String fullSource, String sourceFileName)

So it searches for Visual Studio Installed in these Registry Keys in this order in the HKEY Local Machine
So if you were to re-name (temporarely) the key for VS 2017 it should fall back to the 2015 VS.

new KeyValuePair<string, string>(@"Software\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\15.0\Core", "15.0"),
    new KeyValuePair<string, string>(@"Software\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\14.0\Community", "14.0"),
    new KeyValuePair<string, string>(@"Software\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\12.0\Professional", "12.0"),
    new KeyValuePair<string, string>(@"Software\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\11.0\Professional", "11.0"),
    new KeyValuePair<string, string>(@"Software\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\10.0\VSTSCore", "10.0"),
    new KeyValuePair<string, string>(@"Software\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\10.0\VSTDCore", "10.0"),
    new KeyValuePair<string, string>(@"Software\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\10.0\PROCore", "10.0")
3 Likes