Epicor 9 and Epicor Support - upgrade or move to a new ERP vendor?

Hello all.

I hate to make my first post here be something of this nature, but it is one of the driving factors that led me to join...

I will say that I am happy to be part of this group - especially since regardless of how we decide to move forward with erp, I will be managing an Epicor 8 location for at least a year - and if we choose v9, even better!

So a little about us...

we are a multilocation distributor of home decor items. We deal with big box retailers such as target, walmart... mostly via EDI. We import many containers each month. We plan on centralizing to one data center and having our remote location and outside sales come in via internet, vpn ect.. possibly citrix...

My company is considering Epicor 9.

Currently the company is two locations - one location is on Epicor 8.800.803A (the bug filled version that is slow!) The other location is using a home grown system.

We are at a point of trying to decide do we stick with epicor and upgrade to v9 and implement at our sister location, or do we look at a new ERP vendor for both companies.

Epicor 9, and the other system we narrowed down to (via a long selection process) both do what we need from a business process view. We understand both systems can accomplish the approaches we need. The other system is Sage X3 by the way...

Where we are having a hard time is getting references of value. Both provided the peacock feather references, and fall short of giving us references that meet a few basic criteria - mainly:

1. Is on the CURRENT version of the software

What we are trying to uncover is how Epicor stands up when looking at:

quality of implementation teams - are they responsive and get the job done properly.

support - I hear a lot of buzz about Epicor lacking support resources, and that support is a nightmare when you need it. I will say that as an Epicor 8 user, my experience with support is not good. Most of my calls to support are routed to Mexico and I get a tech that does not know the product well, speaks very broken english, and basically gives me results from a knowledge base he queries.

Do you need to constantly crawl up the chain of command to get things accomplished?

response times of the system - our v8 is terrible, and epicor claims this is completely fixed in v9 and that the system has great response times. How true is this, and does it need a ton of beefy hardware to make it true?

Overall, I just want to hear from actual USERS - not supplied references that are known to say the right things. What is YOUR experience with epicor implementation, support, and overall satisfaction?

I need to get a pulse of the actual user community on just how happy it is with Epicor...

If you do not want to post your comments publicly, I welcome direct emails at mreed@...

Thanks ...

now for more usage driven posts that arent so self-centered! (grin)