Epicor Customizations/REST

Hi everyone,

I am looking at ways to minimize the amount that needs to be customized in Epicor (code and time mainly), unfortunately we cannot avoid customizations are the moment. A thought was to create a Web API with the Intranet site we will have, which could provide access to functions that can be edited on the fly and possibly reduce the amount of code needed for a customization. To give an example, we have in-process labels that are printed at the time the job is released. The data that is required comes from Epicor and an external database. In this case these can be printed on the job. The next label required could be for packaging which would use the same code, I want to avoid duplication, but should not be done on the job. This task will be performed during another operation at a separate workstation. What is the best way to handle this type of situation? I want to make sure that I am not over complicating this and adding more complications down the road.

If any clarification is needed please let me know.

Thank you

Hello Andrew,.

What version of Epicor are you running?

We are running 10.2.400.7.

Soooooo, it’s my weekly Epicor Functions advertisement which starts in 10.2.500. This does EXACTLY what you want. You create your own API into Epicor. I think your approach is wise by reducing customization as much as possible. But that’s me, others may disagree. :wink:

2 Likes

Is there any documentation to is directly related to this? Fortunately we aren’t live yet so upgrading isn’t really a problem.

It’s here in the ICE Tools User Guide for 10.2.500 on EpicWeb.

1 Like

I have looked it over and I think that would work perfectly not only for the situation I mentioned but others as well. Until we update I will continue with developing a Web API. Thank you for your help.