Epicor Default Home page is broken - Tech Support told me - fix it yourself

I am helping a customer implement Kinetic on the cloud. We are starting by using the Education database and after they have learned about the various settings we will build their new environment up.

When I sent out the customers users, I got calls and emails back saying that the environment was broken and they couldn’t get in.

I did some research and found that the home page that Epicor provides for Kinetic has the first row of buttons are broken and not mapped to anything.
I checked the live environment and the same issue occurs there.
The buttons were all missing the application link.

BRokenButtons

I put in a case to Epicor, and the response was - here’s how you can fix the home page. There was no offer to fix the issue.

I fixed it myself and assigned it to the users I setup.
I have attached it for your use.

EpicorDefault.zip (3.2 KB)

How are they going to fix it for you? You just have to remove or remap the buttons. Are the broken for everyone? I don’t use the default layouts so I don’t know

If they are you should ask to have a PRB opened for development to fix.

This is a bug I’ve run into several times. The Quote Entry and Order Entry tiles (at least) in the default Home Page map via the Customer Relationship Management menu tree… so if a customer doesn’t have the CRM module licensed they are not accessible. Back in 10.2.700 and early 202x I’ve used the Feedback to report it several times, but it needs to be recognized as a bug and swatted.

1 Like

The home page that is broken is the one that Epicor has setup for all new environments. That’s why I am disappointed with Epicor.
As a cloud multi-tenant install for the training, they can fix that.
As a world class software provider they would check what they are shipping and fix it before it is deployed.

1 Like

New idea:

Fix Kinetic Home Page links that open via Customer Relationship Management

https://epicor-manufacturing.ideas.aha.io/ideas/KIN-I-4854

I seem to recall that the Home Page is getting a lift anyway.

I’m sure it will at some point… when they give us a date and the actual fixes I’ll stop bugging them… but as @LarsonSolutions says, as a world-class software company this kind of thing going on for this long is inexcusable.

@timshuwy?

1 Like

From the same post:

1 Like

In the CR version of 2024.1, the Order Entry tile is fixed (points to the Sales Management menu tree), but Customer Tracker, Quote Entry, Quote Tracker, and Order Tracker tiles are actually broken worse. They have NO menu link, and won’t work for anybody. Mousing over the tile shows a tool tip “Menu is not available”

Has the Controlled Released group reported this?

Should the Menu System remove items that are not licensed automatically?

EDIT: Better off leaving the starting menu blank?

Do you have a call number? @bconner might have one of his team members examine it.

1 Like

@bconner
CS0004241182 - Home Page in Education - several button’s are broken
Note - it’s not just Education, it is also Live too

CR of 2024.1 I’m not seeing any major changes to the home page. The colors are shifted and the fonts are different. We can reorder the tabs now. Other than that not seeing the major changes that were discussed in that thread unless I am missing something.

We have our own layout we designed ourselves so don’t care too much about the shortcuts on the default layout being broken. Really would have been better for Epicor to just give everyone a blank slate to start with imo and avoid the whole headache. The root of the problem is that the security is tied to the menu hierarchy instead of the program itself. If the security were on the program it shouldn’t matter where in the menu the shortcut points to.

CS0004319547 - Home Page links not working in CR2024.1

Problem Case PRB0281444 has the following description:
2024.1 Kinetic Home Page Quick Launch – several tiles on home page do not open up form. Customer Tracker, Quote Entry, Quote Tracker, Order Entry, Order Tracker, Part Tracker, Job Tracker

I have fixed it for my current customer.
Just frustrating because the fix is so simple. Just change the apps to ones that don’t require the CRM module and deploy / publish it to the multi-tenant education and any new environment sold.

1 Like

Good candidate to promote in this week’s Frideas thread.

Although I appreciate the thumbs up, it already has a PRB and is being worked on. This idea will eventually be closed… don’t waste your votes!

There isn’t limited vote anymore you get one per idea so not more “wasted” voting. Hopefully the PRB is actively being worked on and resolved in 2024.x

2 Likes

Bruce,
The reason for this is because Epicor changed the way security works in one of the early version of Kinetic. If somehow you have a link to menu item on your home screen that is linked to a location you don’t have access to, like on the default home screen, now when you try to open it checks to see if you also have access to the parent menu. When this change happened I had a lot of users who had to recreate some of their home screen links on both the Kinetic and Modern home screens. I created a new default Kinetic home screen with just some basic trackers from Executive Analysis, which everyone has access to with how we have security setup, so I quit getting these complaints from the default home screen.

This also effected the Kinetic version of Data Collection, on some of the previous versions of Kinetic… in Epicor’s infinite wisdom, with Data Collection they decided to use the menu item for Part Tracker that is under Order Management and Data Collection also checked to see if you had rights to the parent menu in the full application. So in order for a shop floor user to use Part Tracker they needed to have rights to Order Management. The same thing for Job Tracker and Kanban Receipts. When I contacted support on this they told me it is working as expected and if I wanted it changed I had to submit an enhancement request.
To get around this I moved these menu items under Process and created new menu items to replace them in the location that they were.

I’m not sure if it was in either 2023.1 or 2023.2, but it appears that now Epicor has changed Data Collection so it no longer checks to see if the user has rights to the parent menu in the full application when opening menu items.

1 Like