Epicor Purchases MES Company

https://www.epicor.com/en-us/newsroom/news-releases/epicor-acquires-eflex-systems/

The eFlex Systems Manufacturing Integrated Platform (MIP®) enables manufacturers to manage and visualize global operations in real time, connecting devices, sensors, and machines with people to help operators build the right part, with the right tool, at the right setting in a safe and repeatable way. This helps manufacturers solve labor challenges by simplifying tasks and extending workers with connected devices which improves productivity.

Epicor customers will be able to digitize processes through operator guidance, alerts, traceability, and data collection at the individual task level. Workstations can be configured and connected to their environments through open protocols and tools such as RFID, MQTT, and Node-RED, enabling operators to seamlessly leverage IoT devices such as DC tooling, barcode readers, weight scales, pick lights, PLCs, and others to complete the task at hand.

6 Likes

This is the first Ive heard of them. I requested a Demo and have one scheduled for the end of the month. Anyone here using their products?

They have a YouTube channel to get an idea what they do.

eFlex Systems - YouTube

From the little I’ve gathered, it’s a completely web-based system. They created a low-code interface called Node-Red and it’s all JavaScript. Not sure which cloud provider they use or if they are agnostic.

yeah i watched a few videos, thats what promted the demo request. Interested in the work instructions and possible Bluetooth tool integration with the ERP.

1 Like

As an alternative to Mattec this seems like a better platform unless you need HMI programming/control of your PLCs. I didn’t see that in the marketing info.

We need the integrated JWI and QA data collection for all of our new folks in training - I really like that.

1 Like

A live schedule that interfaces with Kinetic. This is a big reason we’re looking at MATTEC right now. Having the parts completed sent to Kinetic and helping with the boxing (for injection molding here) is a great plus for us. Not sure eFlex has that. Don’t know their integration points either. If it’s JavaScript, it’s should be REST.

For us, the schedule is important as well, they just can’t seem to use it though. And right now, Quality/Training is #1 because of so many new folks - so that part really jumped out at me.

We’re just going to have to dig into eFlex to see what they not telling us on the web/youtube site until we can find someone here who uses it for real.

This is cool for a QA Department, but for any fast-paced Manufacturer. I don’t get it. Sure some lights are nice, but so are Epicor Mobile Apps & EVA that could notify you of an issue.

This would work good for us, since we build custom stuff. Maybe im missing the point after watching a few videos.

If we were fast paced production shop floor, which are most Mfgs Tier 1, 2, 3 - I don’t want anyone to stop running the machine and go to a monitor. Speed is Key.

3 Likes

I agree - fast paced widget making isn’t where this is at. We do a lot of precision custom work, so the detailed JWI and QA measurement collection is critical. Just depends on what your flow is.

2 Likes

The whole Industry 4.0 movement is custom. I would venture to say most manufacturers mid/small don’t know much about the subject in general or how deep it truly is. To buy such a powerful product without first having a vision and strategy is deadly and expensive. The way that some of these companies wrap these HMI products up into a “simple” solution that provides X, Y, and Z is misleading at times. Do these vendors truly know what the company needs and will this solution stand the test of time? Or does it just provide OEE?

On a Positive Note I think the Work Instructions Video JEM Digital Work Instructions - YouTube is pretty cool.

3 Likes

YES! That looks very nice.

Exactly - the interface and code-less programming is an interesting thing, albeit a ton of work. But if we had this, we’d be miles ahead of where we are - even without HMI/PLC Interface, and the better Mattec Scheduler.

Shoot - I may need both…

1 Like

And you know I’m going to mention security. It’s great to connect things but we’re seeing the importance of how we connect things. Seamless is bad, no matter what the marketing people say. Well-defined and controllable seams (APIs) is where we want to be. I wonder how many companies rush into I-4.0 without regard to a risk analysis…

1 Like

Ill let you know after my demo at the end of the month.

2 Likes

@utaylor one thing about Industry 4.0 is I dont think the Manufacturers care. Think about Electronic Labels, they are cool – but if it breaks now they have to replace it, where as a paper label they rip off and print a new one.

I think there is alot of cool stuff! But convince a Manufacturer who runs Machines from 1970s and flies people from Germany (SIEMENS) in to fix minor glitches to add more tech to their floor.

Having someone visually inspect a part (First Article) has less cost than using software which has to be maintained, upgraded etc…

Maybe my kids generation will eventually change the industry to 4.0 – I dont think we are there yet. The margins are already slim.

The Mindset needs to change. Everyone is a Technology Company in the 21st century.

Most Manufacturers dont even replace the 5S Tape on the floor, too expensive :smiley: They may do so right before an ISO Audit.

5 Likes

Super sick!

:raised_hands:

Love and agree with your thoughts here.

Slowly though, it’s becoming relevant to the manufacturers in your post and it’s becoming more affordable.

I’m sure it’s going to be a great product. I’m simply saying it pays to have a strategy and a vision for IoT and Industry 4.0 technologies before looking at/buying a system like this because if you’re just looking for OEE I would say @hkeric.wci, based on his post here, could probably find a much cheaper way to do that… Same with @jgiese.wci , he built out his own system tapping into PLCs and machine data.

1 Like