For all you wild ones supporting an integration via API... what's a good standard for logging?

Best Friends GIF by Black Rifle Coffee Company

2 Likes

What are you using for the Keys (key1,key2,key3)? Anything specific?

It’s in her first picture.

Looks like her real key is a guid in key5.

1 Like

Key1 = The function name
Key2 = API direction
Key3 = HeaderKey (eg OrderNum)
Key4 = DetailKey (eg OrderLine)
Key5 = Generated GUID to maintain unique records.

Honestly… I could have just used Key1 with a GUID and the rest as named UD fields, but it evolved over time.

4 Likes

@hmwillett and @klincecum I also learned that there are SQL expressions that can parse a json value if it’s a valid JSON value…

I am doing the logging like @hmwillett suggested and it’s working well, but I keep having to copy the JSON bodys from the logging table and then re-format them in VS code… But little did I know you can use this right in the query: Work with JSON data in SQL Server - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

1 Like

Doesn’t seem to work in a BAQ :frowning:

1 Like

That was my whole point of posting that :frowning: I was hoping someone would chime in saying they already use this in a BAQ…

You got my hopes up for nothing!

I could make it work, but I’d be breaking the Epicor Warranty rules :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I’m sorry! I thought wow this is cool! And most the time a BAQ does allow it to happen. And I believe I know which hack you’re talking about… someone named @hkeric.wci I think also knows how to make some additional functions available via BAQ as well. I don’t recall how exactly to do it but I remember something in my distant memory… very fuzzy.

I wouldn’t put anything past that guy. He seems pretty swooft.

1 Like

But I think he had mentioned it wasn’t a void in the warranty, it’s just something that they don’t publish and tell people how to do… maybe??? i think that’s what I found cool about it. But I could be recalling this incorrectly

The way I would do it probably wouldn’t void my warranty, but they would at least look down upon
it.

I would like to know what you are referring to if you can find it.

And as for @hkeric.wci , just in case people don’t get my slang, I meant he’s a smart cookie.

I am going to try and find it on the forum if possible but I am not sure it’s here.

Not sure which one, but I’ve seen people call Stored Procedures in BAQs. We often times make our BAQs “Updatable” and then use the Advanced BPM functionality of the BAQs for additional code, hence the BAQ starts to behave like a Function then.

1 Like

Aw thanks, im taking a break from the forums… because all I can say about Epicor lately is all negative stuff, so better to stay quiet. I’ve said enough about their poor quality assurance, they will blacklist me. :slight_smile: Be back soon. No offense if I dont reply fast. Been a wild 4 months, personally and professionally.

6 Likes

thanks for this suggestion.

I have been logging in a UD table and it’s been super nice. have resolved 100% of the errors using the data I am logging.

Almost up to our 100th LTL shipment through the API integration with freightview. this is only like 10% of our shipments to start, but it’s going well so far.

Sweet, will you finish mine?

1 Like

Hahaha I am still working through this and trying to add more functionality!

star-wars-meme

@klincecum it was this that I was thinking of. Not voiding anything: