Free Shipping for customer - using QuickShip - Kinetic bug or howto?

Hi everyone, before I dive in, just want to say this place is amazing! Have gotton so much help just lurking so far. It’s really greatly appreciated!

Often we’ll cover the shipping cost for our customers. I am 60% sure it previously worked to select the Billing Type of ‘Shipper’ on the Manifest for the order (which also selects it on the ShipHead) which would then not pull in the Misc. Charge when the Invoice is created. The QuickShip docs seem to confirm this too:

" Shipper – Free freight to customer – Shipper equals prepaid, does not post charges
back to the customer invoice. "

However, that is not working for us in Pilot or Live. I do have a case open and they 1st recommended creating new Ship Codes in QuickShip. That seems overkill as we’d have to do it for every shipping option, but also, there is no ‘Shipper’ option for the Billing Method on the Ship Codes. None of the other options seem correct either and the docs themselves say many are not encouraged.

Is selecting ‘Shipper’ billing type in Kinetic supposed to be the correct way? If not, how do you all handle the occasional free shipping to the customer using QuickShip? We can catch it at invoice creation, but would like to avoid that (want to turn on auto-invoice eventually as well). We can have our shipper delete the misc. charge on the pack…but we’d like to keep that info in Kinetic as well.

Thanks for any guidance!