Have BPM only trigger if new record

This is a follow-up to a previous question I had (thank you for your assistance, @bordway).

However, I am running into another issue with that same BPM. Here is the scenario:

• User opens Job Entry
  • User types in a Job Number
  • Pre-Processing BPM Triggers on JobEntry.ValidateJobNum

That BPM will flow 1 of 2 ways:

• If JobNum ends in “-LC”, the BPM throws an exception and tells the user to try again, clearing the JobNum field in the process.
  • If the JobNum does NOT end in “-LC”, the BPM does nothing and the user is free to continue on.

Now this works great if the user is entering a new job number, however the BPM is also triggering for existing jobs that end in “-LC”, which is problematic if someone is going to try and change one of those jobs.

Is there a way to have the VaidateJobNum BPM only trigger if it is a new Job Number, and not an existing one? Am I using the wrong method for this perhaps?

In condition,
try “The Specified field of the changed row is equal to the specified expresion”

let it trigger, then within the BPM, do a lookup to see if the job exists in the jobhead table. If it does, then it is not a new record. If it does not, then it is a new record.

I am not sure that this method call has a changed row. I think it is a special method that passes parameters (not sure).

I think you could add a check for added record to your condition. Like this:

1 Like

I thought about that, but there are no temp tables for the ValidateJobNum method.

Hmmm… I wonder if you grab the parameter - ipJobNum
store ipJobNum in a BpmData field and then do you condition check on that?

I am already looking at ipJobNum (which is how I know it ends in “-LC”), but I am unaware of a way for me to query the DB in a BPM to see if that JobNum is pre-existing or not.

That’s how you can query the DB :slight_smile: Just search for the JobNum in JobHead

I haven’t actually tried it myself, no idea if it would actually work.
I was thinking, off the top of my head that something like the query condition below?

1 Like

THAT is what I was missing! Thank you! :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you’re using JobHead.ValidateJobNum instead of doing a pre-processing directive on JobHead.Update, with a top condition simply: If the ttJobHead.JobNum field of the Added row…?

If you do it on validate, it tells you right when you type it in, instead of when you try to save. It’s a better UI experience. But you are right, that update would work, and is an easier BPM to write. Also, it’s common to do both since update is a better gatekeeper for security type stops just in case something manages to slip through.

1 Like