Help with Help

@pferrington - It seems that everyone having an issue (including me) is using Online Help. Glad to know it’s been identified and is in the pipeline. We don’t use it much, but when we need it… we need it.

I need to ask a dumb question … Why are people mentioning browsers? I thought the help system (which is implemented as a web site) was only available to be launched via the E10 client. Whenever I tried to access the help via a browser, I get the 403 errors.

the windows default browser, and perhaps the default windows internet settings controlled via IE 10/11/etc. are what control how the pages are displays - browser control within the window that pops up from inside the client. At least that is how I think it works. Never really bothered to fully investigate it until now. But we can also use the browser to test connectivity, but all you get is the ‘date’ response when the session is initiated outside the client - must be some params being passed on the URL or something.

This is for online help (for us) no local help.

There are ways to open those URLS in the browser calvin if you have the client cookie.

1 Like

hmm - the client cookie?

Yeah the COOKIE!

Epicor Client sets a cookie which is passed ot the help which tells the help which version of the help to bring up. You can re-create that cookie in your browser and “browse” the help site as if you were in the app.

1 Like

ME WANT COOKIE!!!

Seriously, how do you get the client cookie data? And this is for the Epicor hosted help system, correct?

2 Likes

Make your own :stuck_out_tongue:

All joking aside this is coloring well outside the lines, it isn’t all the useful anyways.

It involves HTTP interception using a Proxy. #Complicated not worth the hassle.

oh look - the man in the middle attack! :slight_smile:

can you please go to the company configuration and see epicor help is what url.

regards,

Eddy

Are you asking because you need the URL? Or because you think that the URL is wrong? If it was wrong, it wouldn’t work for anyone using that database. The symptoms of this problem are that specific computers cannot access it. The URL works for 90% of the users, and even the same users on as long as it’s on a different machine.

Same in my case. I tested multiple URLs found here (for multiple versions of 10.2 as well).

A low probability scenario is that the help reference on those particular machines in the .sysconfig is different than the Company Setting? :man_shrugging:

Worth a look, but I checked and the setting for that is blank, which means it inherits the URL from the server. Plus, I have 9 different environments and it doesn’t work on any of them. It would be pretty though for all of them to get messed up.

4 Likes

So are we…

1 Like

Everyone is ignoring the fact that the “Help system” isn’t really that helpful.

You’ll finally get it working and users will be like, “So the help for the ‘Include totals checkbox’ just says, ‘Check this box to include totals’ … that wasn’t very helpful.”

:wink:

2 Likes

Hello,
the url could be wrong because you migrated your epicor. the old url will be invalid. so, you need change the url. so, go to company manitenance and find the url. it is at the bottom. Help url and Education url.

regards,

Eddy